This is a short section to look at type of puzzle built out of image manipulation code.
Code To Fix the Pixels
- There is an image of some unknown object
- The red/green/blue values have been distorted, hiding the real image
- Write code to fix the red/green/blue values
- Recover the original image to solve the puzzle
Here we have the "gold" puzzle image -- fix it to see the real image
Gold puzzle parameters:
- The green and blue values are all just random values in the range 0..255 ("snow" or "speckle noise")
- The data of the real image is exclusively in the red values
- In addition, the red values have all been divided by 10 (made dark)
- The green/blue snow is obscuring the real image
- Write code to recover the real image
In this case, our solution shows the image, but it's all in red. What we have here is basically a black-and-white image, but it is shown in the black-red range, rather than the usual black-white. For this section, we'll say that's good enough. We'll see how to fix the red image so it looks like a proper black-and-white image in a later section.