EE 477: Universal Schemes in Information Theory
Each student is responsible to scribe one lecture note in LaTex. The writeup should elaborate where needed on
issues that have been merely skimmed over in the lecture, fill in mathematical details that were skipped, and
provide proper references.
We will try to upload the final version of each lecture note within one week from the lecture.
The style file for the lecture note is ee477.sty.
A sample lecture notes can be found here: sample.tex
with the pdf output sample.pdf
Lectures from Fall 2011
Lecture notes will be updated as the course progresses.
- Lecture 1 (9/27/11, Introduction): See Restricted section.
- Lecture 2 (9/29/11, Project Description): See Restricted section.
- Lecture 3 (10/4/11, Lossless Compression and Lempel-Ziv): See Fall 2009 Lecture 6 Section 3, Lecture 7, Lecture 8.
- Lecture 4 (10/6/11, Context Tree Weighting).
- Lecture 5 (10/11/11, Lempel-Ziv, continued): See Fall 2009 Lecture 8.
- Lecture 6 (10/13/11, Lempel-Ziv, continued): See Fall 2009 Lecture 8.
- Lecture 7
(10/18/11, LZ78 and Individual Sequence Compression, LZ77).
- Lecture 8 (10/20/11, Denoising, Introduction): See Fall 2009 Lectures 2/3.
- Lecture 9 (10/25/11, DUDE, part 1): See Fall 2009 Lectures 3/4.
- Lecture 10 (10/27/11, DUDE, part 2): See Fall 2009 Lectures 4/5.
- Lecture 11 (11/1/11, DUDE, part 3, and ergodic processes): See Fall 2009 Lecture 5/6/9.
- Lecture 12
(11/3/11, Guest Lecture): Dr. Krishnamurthy Viswanathan
- Lecture 13 (11/8/11, Lossy compression, Part 1): See Fall 2009 Lectures 10-12.
- Lecture 14 (11/10/11, Guest Lecture): Dr. Taesup Moon. Slides.
- Lecture 15
(11/15/11, Guest Lecture: Vinith Misra): Universal channel decoding.
- Lecture 16 (11/17/11, Lossy compression, part 2): See Fall 2009 Lectures 10-12.
- Lecture 17 (11/29/11, Guest Lecture): Prof. Itai Sharon.
- Lecture 18 (12/1/11, Guest Lecture): Prof. Gil Bejerano.
Lectures from Fall 2009
- WikiBooks provides a good introduction to Latex.
- Here is a short course on Latex.
- TexnicCenter is a free open source LaTeX editor for Windows.
- TexShop is a free open source LaTeX editor for Mac OS.
- WinEdt is another good LaTex editor for Windows, but it is not free.
back to EE477 Home Page