Math 41 Autumn 2014
All exams for Math 41 are closed-book, closed-notes, with no calculators or other electronic aids permitted. Each midterm counts approximately 26% toward your final grade, and the final exam counts approximately 38%. (Your overall exam average is the sum of all points earned on all exams, divided by the total possible points; this average counts 90% toward the final grade. No scaling or curving is applied to individual exam scores.)
If you have a course-related or competition-related schedule conflict with a midterm exam, you must contact your instructor at least a week in advance of the exam to make arrangements for an alternate (early) sitting; the same policy holds for OAE accomodations. No other schedule conflicts are accommodated for midterms, and alternate exam times are limited. The date and time of the final exam are set by the University; all students must take the exam at this time.
Pre-exam Advice and Information
- Read Jessica Purcell's
Tips for Success in Undergraduate Math Courses
for good advice about how to study for a math exam.
- Look at the homework and solutions --
and remember the answers to odd-numbered problems in the back of
- See below for practice exams. In addition, this course is cumulative, so you should go over the solutions to any exams already held this quarter in preparation for the next one.
- We highly recommend the Concept Check, True-False Quiz, and Review Exercises at the end of each chapter. The solutions to all of these Chapter Review problems are posted here.
Specific Info on Final Exam: Monday Dec. 8, 7-10pm at 420-040
- The exam is cumulative, covering all course topics with a much heavier emphasis on the material covered since Exam 2.
The following exam questions were used in previous incarnations of Math 41. Material covered for a given midterm in these classes does not necessarily correlate exactly to the material covered in Math 41 this quarter, so bear this in mind when working these examples.
Do not look at or print out the solutions to the practice problems below until
after working on them yourself, taking some time, and going
back later to try any problems you couldn't do the first time again.
Doing the problems while looking at the answers renders them almost
completely useless as preparation for taking an exam. Remember that
the teaching staff are available to ask questions of regarding any of
the review material.
After each exam this quarter, you will be able to find solutions here.
- Exam 1: Tuesday, October 14, 2014, 7:30-9pm at 420-040
- Formula Sheet: Click here to see a list of formulas that will be provided for you at the front of the first midterm.
- Solutions: Click here for solutions to midterm 1.
- Exam 2: Tuesday, November 4, 2014, 7:30-9pm at 420-040
- The formula sheet for Exam 2 will be the same as Exam 1.
- Solutions: Click here for solutions to midterm 2.
- Final Exam: Monday, December 8, 2014, 7-10pm at 420-040
- Formula Sheet: Click here to see a list of formulas that will be provided for you at the front of the final exam.