Here we will post links to articles, datasets, and other information of interest to the class.
- Kelly criterion Kelly, J.L. "A new interpretation of information rate", Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 35, pp. 917–926.
- Game theory Kovash, K. and Levitt, S. "Professionals Do Not Play Minimax: Evidence from Major League Baseball and the National Football League", NBER Working Paper, No. 15347, Sep, 2009
- James-Stein Estimator Efron, B. and Morris C. "Stein's Paradox in Statistics", Scientific American, vol. 236(5), pp. 119–127, May, 1977
- MLB play-by-play data Retrosheet
- College RPI Wikipedia | RPI FAQ | Ken Pomeroy's description
- NBA play-by-play data Basketball Geek | Basketball Value (Basketball Geek's data is more extensive.)
- Quarterback rating Wikipedia | NFL | NCAA
- NFL play-by-play data NFL (Choose a week, then a game. Click on Box Score, then on Download Gamebook.)
- Value of field position Romer, D. (2006) "Do Firms Maximize? Evidence from Professional Football", Journal of Political Economy, vol. 114, no.2
- Value of field position Carter and Machol (1970) "Operations Research on Football", Operations Research