Chemical Inventory Management
Federal, State and County led regulations require that Stanford keep an accurate inventory of the chemicals stored on campus. Stanford EH&S reports this chemical inventory to the governing regulatory agencies in the form of the Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP). It also helps users to keep track of their chemicals, conduct laboratory hazard assessments, provide chemical hazard information to emergency responders, and minimize unnecessary stockpiling of chemicals.
PIs and lab/shop managers are responsible to report the hazardous materials they have on hand via Chemtracker.
How do labs manage their inventory?
Stanford uses the ChemTracker online application to inventory all the hazardous chemicals on campus. Each lab and shop that uses chemicals must update their chemical inventories in ChemTracker at least annually.
ChemTracker can be accessed by clicking the following link:
Click here to access the latest version of ChemTracker
What needs be inventoried in ChemTracker?
All hazardous chemicals and chemical products must be inventoried by container.
- Compressed gases (including liquefied gases)
- Flammable/combustible liquids (i.e., alcohols, solvents, lubricants, paints)
- Flammable solids (i.e., magnesium, sodium, organo-metallics)
- Oxidizers (i.e., concentrated mineral acids, bromates, chlorates, permanganates)
- Organic peroxides (i.e., hydrogen peroxide (>8%), benzoyl peroxide)
- Poisons not included in the above categories (i.e.,biological toxins, select agent toxins, dyes, adhesives, specimen solutions)
- Corrosives (acids or bases which are corrosive to the skin and other materials having a pH of ≤ 5.5 or ≥ 11.0)
- Controlled Substances (DEA listed drugs)
It is not necessary to inventory:
- Retail products used for routine household-like activities (i.e., cleansers, dish soap. However, do include bleach used in laboratory processes).
- Materials to be expended within 1-2 days (e.g., working solutions)
- Radioactive materials
- Biohazardous materials
- Non-hazardous buffers
- Growth media
- Enzyme preparations
EH&S provides customer support for ChemTracker at Stanford. This includes: adding new chemical owner accounts (i.e., Principal Investigators), new ChemTracker user access, and providing training for new users and basic troubleshooting.
To contact the HMMP group, click on the link below:
Submit a ChemTracker Help Request to the HMM Program
For ChemTracker user basics, check out the quick guides:
For additional questions please contact EH&S at (650) 723-0448