Frequently Asked Questions - Master of Science

Can I transfer credit to Stanford?

Master students are not allowed to transfer any credit to Stanford. All 45 units must be completed at Stanford.

Can I petition to deviate from the degree requirements?

Students may petition to deviate from the degree requirements by explaining what they want to do and why. Petitions may be dropped off at student services or sent by email.

Can I complete multiple degrees at Stanford?

Students may apply for additional master degrees or for a doctoral degree by submitting the Graduate Authorization Petition to the new program. Please contact the new program for deadlines and other requirements.

Is there any funding available for master students?

The MS&E department does not guarantee funding for any master students. Many students secure fellowships or loans from other sources. While we are not able to guarantee funding for master students, we are occasionally able to hire a master student as a course or research assistant. These appointments are generally confirmed at the start of the quarter, and are appointed for one quarter only. Please keep in mind that we have over 300 master students, and are generally able to offer funding to less than 10%. Most of these appointments are given to returning (not new) master students. Master students are sometimes able to find funding elsewhere on campus, but most departments will support their own students before they will hire students from other departments, so these appointments are not common.

What is the SCPD Honors Cooperative Program?

Students employed by companies that are members of the Stanford Center for Professional Development may take courses on a part-time basis. They are considered to be in the Honors Cooperative Program. Students in this program may switch to full-time, and back to part-time once each.

Can I take a leave of absence?

Students may take up to two years leave of absence from the program. Leave of Absence forms must be submitted before the start of the quarter. Students on F1 or J1 visas must have approval from the Bechtel International Center.

May I take elective or concentration courses at the Graduate School of Business?

Yes. Please see the Non-GSB Registration page for information on policies, procedures, and available courses.

GSB courses taken for GSB standard grading are included in the gpa, and are converted as follows: H = 4.14, HP = 3.56, P = 3.24, and LP = 2.90.

How is enrollment in limited-enrollment courses determined?

Most faculty determine enrollment in limited-enrollment courses based on an application. The application may be posted on the course website, or handed out in the first class. A few courses, MS&E 41, MS&E 140, MS&E 240, and MS&E 245G, determine enrollment based on who enrolls in Axess first.