[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- African Voice
- Site for the African Voice Society. You will need to enable popups to see this site. Activities of African students in the Malaysian Diaspora. Articles, poems, local events. Maintained by Anthony Claret, President of the African Students Association, Malaysia. [KF] http://africanvoice.awardspace.com
- Afro-Shanghai: The African Community in Shanghai and China
- "a virtual space for Africans and African Americans living in China, while providing an opportunity for cultural exchange with people from China and other parts of the world." Directory of African businesses in China (African associations, clubs, Chinese companies in Africa, etc.). Has a blog and discussion forums. http://www.afroshanghai.com/
- Alpers, Edward A. - Sailing Into the Past. The African Experience in India
- "This piece originally appeared in Samar 13: Winter/Spring, 2000." "an overview of the history of Africans in India within the wider context of the African diaspora, and ........their presence in other regions of the Indian Ocean." "
the meaningful presence of Africans in India probably dates from the rise of Islam in the seventh century c.e.," "The most renowned representative of this class of African slaves in India was Malik Ambar, ruler of Ahmadnagar from 1600 to 1626." http://www.samarmagazine.org/archive/article.php?id=20
- Apsara Media for Intercultural Education
- "founded in 1991 by Nazir Jairazbhoy and Amy Catlin-Jairazbhoy to bring current documentary research in ethnomusicology (musical ethnology) from South Asia and Southeast Asia to the English-speaking classroom." Books. videos (From Africa to India. Sidi Music in the Indian Ocean Diaspora), CDs on South Asia including the Sidi Africans in South Asia. http://www.apsara-media.com
- Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora, ASWAD
- "a not-for-profit, tax deductible organization of international scholars seeking to further our understanding of the African Diaspora." Holds conferences, job notices, events listings, links to related sites. Publishes the journal, Contours. (See also full text articles). Officers are from the U.S., Senegal, Brazil. Holds conferences (2005 International Conference on the African Diaspora in Asia). Has an extensive list of Diaspora related links. Based at New York University, Dept. of History, New York City. [KF] http://www.aswadiaspora.org/
- Books on the African Diaspora in India and Sri Lanka
- List of books, articles, chapters in books. From a message posted on the web forum - Africa and the African Diaspora. http://www.bcecartoons.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=31&sid=6dd1b532ebb3e48151e031500e925e8c
- Journal of World History
- Official journal of the World History Association. Published by the University of Hawaii Press. http://www.historycooperative.org/jwhindex.html
Africans and Asians: Historiography and the Long View of Global Interaction. By Maghan Keita.
Review of Christopher Ehret's The Civilizations of Africa: A History to 1800
Reviewed by PATRICK MANNING
Contested Hegemony: The Great War and the Afro-Asian Assault on the Civilizing Mission Ideology. By
Review of Martin Bernal's Black Athena Writes Back: Martin Bernal Responds to His Critics.
Reviewed by YAACOV SHAVIT
The World's Oldest Trade": Dutch Slavery and Slave Trade in the Indian Ocean in the Seventeenth Century. By Marcus Vink.
- "Kasarani.com brings Kenyans together, young and old, at home and in the diaspora." "a social network for Kenyans by Kenyans." http://www.kasarani.com/
- Migration Information Source
- Find the number of people born in Africa, regions of Africa, selected countries from 1995 to date. Also the number of asylum applications by nationality, by year and Acquisition of citizenship by country of former nationality, by year. The number, by state, of African-born populations. Facts about the foreign-born from each African country in each U.S. state. Essays (African Foreign Born in the United States, International Migration in Africa). Number of asylum applicants from individual African countries
to other countries (U.S., U.K. etc.). Number of asylum applicants in United States by individual countries of origin. Based in Washington, D.C. [KF] http://www.migrationinformation.org/
- New York Public Library - African Diaspora in the Indian Ocean World
- From the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, NYPL. "...original essays...by the historian Omar H. Ali... dozens of images of paintings and photographs..., maps, and segments of documentaries." East Africa, Arabian Peninsula, Perisan Gulf, South Asia, East Asia. Video from From Africa to India: Sidi Music in the Indian Ocean Diaspora. Bibliography (books, articles, films). http://exhibitions.nypl.org/africansindianocean/
- Sudanese Community in Korea
- In Arabic. http://www.sudanseoul.net/
- Sudanese Online Research Association
- In English and Arabic. For the Sudanese Diaspora living outside Sudan. Many links to web sites about the Sudan - statistics, refugee camps, Darfur, essays/papers/reports, etc. Based in Australia. http://sora.akm.net.au/
- TADIA - African Diaspora in Asia
- "TADIA is a society for research, culture, education and development of the African Diaspora in Asia and is associated with the UNESCO 'Slave Route Project', India." Academic organization coordinated by Jean-Pierre Angenot & Shihan de Silva Jayasuriya. Held a 2006 conference, International Conference on The Siddis* of India and the African Diasporas in Asia. [KF] http://www.tadia.org/
- Tanzania Community of New South Wales
|| © 1994-2011 The Board of Trustees of the Leland
Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
|Please send corrections to Karen Fung.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]