[an error occurred while processing this directive]
- African Development Forum III
(U.N. Economic Commission for Africa, March 3-8, 2002, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
- "Defining Priorities for Regional Integration." "an initiative
led by the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) to establish an African-driven
development agenda...." Has full text papers on African economic integration,
the African Union, peace and security, refugees, ECOMOG, etc. Has
a database of African regional organizations, documents on NEPAD,
New Partnership for African Development (includes the Omega Plan), an
11 page historical
background on political and economic unity. http://www.uneca.org/adfiii/
See also Towards a United
Africa covering the evolution of Pan-Africanism, the OAU to the
AU, the text of historic
speeches by Africa's heads of state at the formation on the OAU and
other historic documents on African unity. http://www.uneca.org/adfiii/riefforts/
(Edward Wilmot) and Africanism in America
- Essay by Dr. Eluemuno-Chukuemeka R. Blyden, the great-grandson of Blyden.
It is an "introduction to Blyden's Africanist ideas and his vision
of the role of African Americans in the future of Africa." "...given
at the 1992 Pan African Congress of North America held in Savannah, Georgia,
USA." Includes a biographical outline and bibliography. [KF]
Broadcasting Company. The Story of Africa
- "the history of the continent from an African perspective."
"from the origins of humankind to the end of South African apartheid"
by major African historians (Jacob Ajayi, George Abungu, Director-General
of the National Museums of Kenya and others). Includes audio of each segment
of the BBC program. (Requires sound card, speaker or headphone). Each segment
has a timeline, bibliography, useful links. Includes history of the Pan
African Congresses. http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/africa/features/storyofafrica/
Haines - World History Archives
- Has three items from the 1990s on Pan-Africanism. Maintained by Dr. Brown,
emeritus history professor, Central Connecticut State. http://www.hartford
- Center for Research Libraries - Documents
on African Political History, 1938-1970: compiled by Ruth Schachter Morgenthau
- An inventory of African political party materials
(1945-1963) and government documents (1938-1970). Full text, in pdf. 18 pages. "The collection, comprising 23 microfilm reels, contains core documentation
and important primary resource material used as a basis for Dr. Morgenthau's
prize-winning book, "Political Parties in French Speaking West
Africa." (1965 winner of the Melville J. Herskovits award)."
Includes trade union publications, R.D.A.
publications, French policy in Africa, pan-african conferences.
Covers Dahomey (Benin), Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Senegal, Soudan (Mali), Belgian
Congo, Cameroun, Ghana, Federation of Rhodesia & Nyasaland, Togo, Gambia,
"The newspapers and serials contained within the collection have been
cataloged separately and contain a number of unique titles not previously
referenced in OCLC. A listing of these titles may be found by searching
the Center's catalog
with the series title "Documents on African Political History."
The 28 reel collection can be borrowed by CAMP
members and CRL members. Non-members pay $110 for interlibrary loan.
- Centre for Advanced Studies of
African Society, CASAS
- Has full text papers
on language issues in Africa, on Pan-Africanism, and on
development. Publishes Tinabantu - Journal of African National Affairs.
Carries discussion topics on AIDS, maize, improving soil fertility, the
neem tree (control of agricultural pests) in English and at least four African
languages. [KF] http://www.casas.co.za/
- Clarke, John Henrik
University. John Henrik Clarke Africana Library - has a biography, bibliography
of his works, and essay. http://www.library.cornell.edu/africana/Library/Clarke.html
- Contours: a Journal of the African Diaspora (Champaign, Illinois)
- Table of contents and some full text articles. Libraries pay $45 p.a. http://www.press.uillinois.edu/journals/contours.html
Full text articles include -
Imagining and Inventing the Postcolonial State in Africa, by Paul Tiyambe Zeleza (Vol. 1, NO. 1, Spring 2003). Includes Panafricanism.
- Creation of the OAU (Organization
of African Unity) - Makonnen Ketema
- Account by Makonnen Ketema whose father, the late Ketema Yifru, was former
foreign minister of Ethiopia and closely involved in the OAU's creation.
Includes a biography and photographs of K. Yifru. Also photographs of Kwame
Nkrumah, Modibo Kieta of Mali, Seku Toure of Guinea, Emperor Haile Selassie,
Jomo Kenyatta, William Tubman, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Diallo Telli, Tafewa Balewa,
Salim Ahmed Salim and others. http://www.oau-creation.com/
- Professor Diawara is Chair of the Africana Studies Department, New York
Site includes his essay, Pan-Africanism
and Pedagogy. http://www.blackculturalstudies.org/m_diawara/diawara.html
Bois, W. E. B. (William
Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963. "The Souls of Black Folk;
Essays and Sketches" (1903)
- Project Gutenberg provides the full-text of the book. http://digital.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=408
W. E. B.
- A biography of DuBois and the full text of The Souls of Black Folks
(1903). From Bartleby.com. http://www.bartleby.com/people/DuBois-W.html
- Encyclopaedia Africana
- Gives a history of the project "information on W.E.B. Du Bois' dream
of an all-African Encyclopaedia Africana. The publishing of these volumes
began in 1962--one year before Du Bois' death--in Accra Ghana, and continues
today under the direction of Grace Bansa, Secretariat to the Encyclopaedia
Africana Project (EAP)." Three volumes have been published; information
on ordering is provided. Site architect is Prema Qadir. http://www.endarkenment.com/eap/
- Garvey - Marcus
Garvey and Universal Negro Improvement Association Papers Project
- This is the web site for the project, directed by Robert A. Hill, at the
James S. Coleman African Studies Center, UCLA. Has the text of the book
jackets, the introductions and sample documents for the
African series, 1913-1945, American series, and Caribbean series. Has
photos and, for those with multimedia computers, sound files of two speeches
by Garvey, the only known recordings of his voice. http://www.international.ucla.edu/mgpp/
- Garvey - Benin
- A Benin fabric panel honoring the 1987 centennial of Marcus Garvey's
birth which depicts Garvey as politician, scholar, admiral is used to illustrate
a conference, Prophets,
Visionaries and their Publics in the Afro-Atlantic World, October
9-10, 1998, at the University of Maryland. http://www.inform.umd.edu/ARHU/Prophets/
- A moderated discussion list for African American Studies "(also called
Afrocentricity, Africology, Africana Studies, Afro-American Studies, Black
Studies, and Pan-African Studies)." H-AFRO-AM is owned by H-Net. To
subscribe, send email to: email@example.com
In the Message area write: sub h-afro-am firstname lastname, institution
Example: sub h-afro-am Jane Doe, U of Pennsylvania
Paul - Internet African History Sourcebook
- Has full-text sources for African history arranged by topics. Includes
the Black Athena Debate, Nkrumah,
and many other historical topics. Maintained by Paul Halsall, Fordham University.
- In French. Game created by Salif Tidiane Ba (based in Dakar, Senegal) to promote Pan-Africanism. See the National Public Radio article, Oct. 23, 2009 - Not-So-Trivial Pursuit Of A United States Of Africa
by Ofeibea Quist-Arcton. http://www.jekaben.com/
- Journal of Pan African Studies (Los Angeles)
- "A scholary journal devoted to African world community studies, published
four times a
year." Maintained by Amen-Ra Community Assembly of California. The Editor is Itibari M. Zulu. http://www.jpanafrican.com
Articles include - Critical Indigenous African Education and Knowledge, by Itibari M. Zulu;
The South Africa-Mali Timbuktu Project: Utilizing Skills and Talents to Advance the African Renaissanceby, by President Thabo M. Mbeki ; Pan African Dissertation Abstracts (in PDF)
- [King] Martin Luther
King, Jr. Papers Project
- Volume IV: Symbol of the Movement, January 1957-December 1958
contains an interview
by Etta Moten Barnett with King, 6 March 1957 in Accra, Ghana after the
midnight independence celebration, in which King discusses Ghana's independence
and "its worldwide implications and repercussions." Has King's sermon,7
April 1957 in Montgomery, Alabama, "The
Birth of a New Nation" (16 p.) on the Gold Coast / Ghana
history, his experience at the Independence ceremony, and on Kwame
Nkrumah. There is a one page letter
to Richard M. Nixon, 15 May 1957, referring to their meeting at Ghana's
independence celebration. The Chronology
for Vol. IV records King's visit to Ghana and West Africa March 1957. The
Project is located at Stanford University. [KF] http://www.stanford.edu/group/King/
- Nkrumah Infosite
- A biography, bibliography of books on Nkrumah, photographs, audio clips.
Designed by Zizwe Mtafuta-Ukweli for R4R productions. http://www.nkrumah.net/indexes/z1.html
- Northwestern University.
Global Mappings: A Political Atlas of the African Diaspora
- A web site on "linkages between transnational black politics, social
movements and world historical events of the 20th century." Has a photograph
of Chief Lapido Solanke, founder of the West African Students Union and
other photographs, articles from books or specially prepared on the National
Congress of British West Africa, the Pan African Congresses, the West African
Students Union, the Aborigines' Rights Protection Society, Joseph Casely
Hayford, Herbert MacCaulay, and others. From the the Institute of Diasporic
Studies, Northwestern University. [KF] http://diaspora.northwestern.edu/
- Nsibidi (Palma de Mallorca, Islas Baleares, Spain)
- In Spanish. Revista de Estudios de Sociedad Historia, Economía y Cultura africanos de la Muunganiko wa Masomo ya Kiafrika na Uafrika, Asociación de Estudios Africanos y Panafricanismo. Full text articles. Based in Palma de Mallorca, Islas Baleares, Spain. http://www.nsibidi.org/
Julius] Mwalimu Nyerere Memorial Site
- "... a special section within the South Centre...to give access....to
some of the significant speeches,
statements and writings of Mwalimu Nyerere over the years,..."
Contains tributes paid to the late President of Tanzania, Julius
Nyerere; papers or articles written on his role; photographs
of Nyerere. Includes a biography, a keynote address by Professor Ali
A. Marzuri at a 2002 U. N. commemorative meeting, a speech by Ms. Joan
Wicken, Personal Assistant to Nyerere, and remarks by Ambassador Daudi
N. Mwakawago, Permanent Representative of the United Republic of Tanzania
to the United Nations. Also has "Presidential Oratory for the Pan-African
Cause: The Nyerere Harangues" (from Reflections on leadership
in Africa : forty years after independence / Haroub Othman [editor].
Imprint: Brussels, Belgium : VUB University Press, c2000.) On the web site
of South Centre, Geneva, Switzerland. [KF] http://www.southcentre.org/mwalimu/tributes/index.htm
- Pan African Cultural Festival, 2nd, Algiers, Algeria, July 5-20, 2009
- Pan African Eye
- "an independent information site, designed by Africans. It includes
news analyses, events [in the U.K.], meetings and a forum for the community
to contribute to discussions on burning issues." News of the African
Liberation Support Campaign-Network (U.K.), commentary. http://www.panafricaneye.com
- Pan African
- Articles, statements, letters by Horace Campbell, Tajudeen Abdul-Raheem
(the General-Secretary of the PAM), and others on Congo-Kinshasa, Angola,
Nigeria, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Pan-Africanism, Clinton's Africa trip, etc..
Based in Kampala, Uganda. http://www.prairienet.org/acas/panafrican.html
- Ture, Kwame -
- Site about the African-American civil rights leader who lived much of
his life in Guinea. http://www.interchange.org/KwameTure/
See also: "Kwame
Ture (In His Words): a Selective Bibliography, by Dorothy Ann Washington.
Tribute to a Departed Pan-Africanist" by Prof. Tony Martin.
- UhuruTV - Marcus Garvey Lives On!
- On-line video about Marcus Garvey (Jamaican born black nationalist leader of the Back to Africa Movement). Requires Quicktime. From Uhuru News/Burning Spear, based in St. Petersburg, Florida. http://uhurunews.com/tv/?program=garvey_tribute
|| © 1994-2010 The Board of Trustees of the Leland
Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
|Please send corrections to Karen Fung.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]