[an error occurred while processing this directive]
World Cup South Africa 2010 - FIFA Site
- FIFA Wolrd Cup Fan Guide (92 pages in PDF). Article on the ten stadiums.
- Go 2010
- News, the teams. The stadiums. Site produced by South African newspapers. http://www.go2010.co.za/
- World Cup Blog - Road to South Africa 2010
- Blogs about each team. Maintained by BootsnAllTravel. http://www.worldcupblog.org/ http://www.worldcupblog.org/
- World Cup 2010 South Africa
- Official South African Government site. http://www.sa2010.gov.za/
- Keep Flying
- Post World Cup South African site to "stave off the World Cup hangover." "to encourage South Africans to unite behind the country’s flag after the final whistle blows at the 2010 World Cup" http://www.keepflying.co.za/
- World Cup South Africa 2010
- All about the 2010 World Cup, travel / tourism information on South Africa. Part of the International Marketing Council of South Africa web site on South Africa. http://www.southafrica.info/2010/
- Big Soccer - World Cup Discussion Forums
- Discussion, mainly U.S. fans. Based in New York. http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1458
- Supersport.com - World Cup 2010
- News. Videos not available to most locations. Stadiums, referees, World Cup history, etc. http://www.supersport.com/football/2010-world-cup
- World Cup 2010 South Africa Blog
- World Cup 2010 Anthem (Official)
- Waka Waka - This Time for Africa. By Shakira and Freshlyground. Video with famous football players. http://www.shakira.com/
FIFA Announcement - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1205344/index.html
- World Cup 2010 Anthem (Unofficial)
- Wavin Flag, by K'naan. High resolution Coca Cola version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJSt4wP2ME
Article and video by K'naan in Vanity Fair, K’NAAN: Lifting the World Cup with “Wavin’ Flag (July 1, 2010). http://www.vanityfair.com/online/fairplay/2010/07/knaan-wavin-flag.html
Wavin Flag, by Somali musician, K'naan. On YouTube (very grainy). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utl-uOdX12w&feature=related
World Cup Anthem by K'naan. By Karen Lotter. Article about K'naan and the song. Nov. 11, 2009.
- World Cup Album - "Listen Up"
- Official World Cup Album. Release May 31, 2010. Includes "Waka Waka"by Shakira. http://www.listenupalbum.com/ Also information from Museke.com
- World Cup Kick-off Concert
- Site has closed. http://www.vevo.com/watch/playlist/fifa-world-cup-kick-off-concert/170336#0
- Nomadic Wax - World Cup Transnational Hip-hop Collaboration
- "International media production company Nomadic Wax (African Underground/Democracy in Dakar) has teamed up with Genoa, Italy’s DJ Nio, Brooklyn’s Funk Nouveau, Blackler Mastering and producer Eliot Leigh to create a one-of-a-kind World Cup-inspired transnational hip-hop collaboration available for free download." "features rappers hailing from Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America, the United States, and Europe." "Emile and 15 other artists from a range of nations, including Italy, Brazil, South Africa, Morocco, and Trinidad-Tobago, among others, rap their verses in French, Spanish, Portuguese, English, and Arabic and explore many of the controversies, benefits, and pitfalls of the historic 2010 World Cup in South Africa." Translated lyrics available for download at http://www.nomadicwax.com/dl/World-Cup-Lyrics.pdf (10 pages). http://nomadicwax.bandcamp.com/
- Pilgrimages - "The Chinua Achebe Center for African Writers and Artists has chosen to celebrate Africa’s first world cup by sending 13 African writers to 13 cities for two weeks during the World Cup. Each writer will produce a book of nonfiction prose, Travel Literature, of 30,000 words, for publication in Africa and abroad." "the writers will first blog their journeys and create momentum online and on mobile phones while the World Cup is taking place." http://www.pilgrimages.org.za/
- World Cup Official Mascot - Zakumi
Comic strips. http://www.petshopboxstudio.com/blog/2010/05/the-adventures-of-zakumi/
- Learn the Diski Dance
- http://www.southafrica.info/footballfridays/diski-dance2.htm and more diski dancers.
- Twenty Ten: African Media on the Road to 2010 (and beyond)
- The World Cup from an African perspective by African reporters. Also soccer in Africa. Audio, video, photographs. Content can be purchased. From Africa Media Online and other sponsors. http://www.roadto2010.com/
- Shine 2010 - World Cup Good News
- News articles, video, blog. Visitor tips. From First National Bank (South Africa). http://www.shine2010.co.za/
- Project 2010
- "Project 2010, a product of Twenty Ten Media & Marketing.... was launched in 2006 as a free service geared for companies, organisations and individuals who have a vested interest in the 2010 World Cup and the impact it will have on business in South Africa. Among our services, we provide around-the-clock coverage of South Africa’s preparations for the event." http://www.project2010.co.za/
- Brand South Africa - International Marketing Council of South Africa
- "established in August 2002 to help create a positive and compelling brand image for South Africa." Promotes the World Cup 2010. http://www.imc.org.za/
- ESPN - World Cup 2010
- Has U.S. TV schedule. News. Team Profiles (video, history, schedule). http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/
- New York Times - World Cup 2010 Articles
- Radio 2000
- Official radio station for World Cup 2010. http://www.radio2000.co.za/
- Makoya Makaraba - South Africa's Soccer Hardhats
- Hand made decorated soccer hats. Based in Cape Town, South Africa. http://www.makaraba.co.za/
See also the France 24 article about the soccer hats.
- Official Adidas World Cup 2010 Match Ball "Jabulani"
- Watch a video on how the balls are constructed. http://www.wegotsoccer.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=E42040
- African Studies Centre, Leiden - Football in Africa
- Bibliography of books, articles, films, web sites on the World Cup 2010, football, and sport in Africa. Background on football and Africa. http://www.ascleiden.nl/Library/Webdossiers/Football.aspx
- Louw, Allegra - 2010 World Cup. 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup South Africa: a select bibliography
- 83 pages in PDF. Bibliography of books, chapters in books, web sites, journal articles with abstracts, unpublished papers, films. Introduction. http://www.lib.uct.ac.za/asl/info/Soccerbibliography01.pdf
- Player and referee
conflicting interests and the 2010 FIFA World Cup - Edited by Collette Schulz-Herzenberg
- Tshwane : Institute for Security Studies,
2010. Full text online. 248 pages in PDF.
236 p. (Print edition).
ISS monograph series, 169.
See also New York Times article, "Book Questions World Cup Business Arrangements" By JERÉ LONGMAN, April 28, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/sports/soccer/29soccer.html
- World Cup 2010 Official Art Poster Edition
- Limited edition set of 17 prints by artists. Signed and numbered prints can be purchased individually or in a set. A set is Euro 2490 (c. $3,000 plus). Artists: William Kentridge, Charles Fazzino, Hassan Musa, Cameron Platter, Barthélémy Toguo, Isolde Krams, Marlene Dumas, Kay Hassan, Soly Cissé, Peter Eastman, Romero Britto, Lilanga Art, Kendell Geers, Robert Slingsby, Zhong Biao, Yamaguchi Akira, Julie Mehretu. http://brandsunitedug.sport.officelive.com/
- ESPN 2010 FIFA World Cup Murals
- Page One, Page Two. 33 murals by South African artists from the Am I Collective studio, one for each team and one overall World Cup mural. THe posters are in the style of Ghanaian movie posters from the 1980s. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=178678&id=161531382040&page=2
Also Vanity Fair article, May 16, 2010, article May 24, 2010 by Herman Manson on Marklives.com, and on Worldcupbuzz.com.
- 2010 FineArt
- 160 artists world wide. "a visual celebration of the world's most-watched sporting event.... It is the first time in the 80-year history of the FIFA World Cup™ that fine art on this scale has been recognised as Official Licensed Products by FIFA" http://www.2010fineart.com/
- Africa Past and Present - Podcasts about Football / Soccer
- Podcasts (fast iternet connection is best) include the potential impact of the 2010 World Cup on grassroots soccer in South Africa by 3 former professional players, Africa and FIFA, African players in Europe, Peter Alegi's book, African Soccerscapes. http://afripod.aodl.org/?tag=soccer
- World Cup 2010 Football "Jabulani"
- Jabulani: Official Matchball - http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/southafrica2010/news/newsid=1143498/index.html
BBC June 4, 2010 - progression of the world cup ball. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10231975
- Pepsi World Cup 2010 Commercial With "P.A.T Africa Beat" [video]
- Didier Drogba, Lionel Messi, Thierry Henry, Kaka, Frank Lampard. and Andrei Arshavin in an "impromptu game" in Africa. http://www.worldcupbuzz.com/pepsi-world-cup-tv-advert-starring-henry-messi-lampard-drogba-arshavin-and-kaka/
- Mandela and Bafana Bafana [video]
- Vuvuzela - Supersport
- Articles and video from Supersport.com about the vuvuzela horns. http://supersport.com/search?q=vuvuzela
- Development and Dreams : the urban legacy of the 2010 football world cup
- Edited by Udesh Pillay, Richard Tomlinson and Orli Bass. Imprint: Cape Town, South Africa : HSRC Press, 2009. Full text book on-line. Links to a podcast on the book. "perspective on the probable consequences of the World Cup for the economy of South Africa and its cities, on infrastructure development, and on the projection of African culture and identity." http://www.hsrcpress.ac.za/product.php?productid=2259
- Pambazuka News - World Cup 2010
- Articles from various sources on the South African World Cup 2010. Pambazuka is the weekly e-newsletter on human rights, conflict, health, environment, education, social welfare, and development in Africa. http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/wc2010/
- Postamble (Cape Town, South Africa)
- "a multi-disciplinary journal of African studies" "peer-reviewed graduate student journal based in the University of Cape Town's Centre for African Studies" Volume 6.2: South Africa and the FIFA World Cup. Vol. 6:1 has several articles on African studies. Vol 4:1 articles on science & technology. [KF] http://www.postamble.org/
- Fahrenheit 2010 - Film
- Critical documentary on the World Cup. Trailer / preview at http://vodpod.com/watch/2411313-fahrenheit-2010-world-cup-south-africa-2010. Article, "No one wants to air 2010 documentary" in the Mail & Guardian [newspaper] May 14-20, 2010, page 56.
- [Johannesuburg] City of Johannesburg
- World Cup events, fan fests, the teams, brochures, etc. http://www.joburg.org.za/
- World Cup Celebrations in Chicago
- Site has closed. Includes Coca-cola video with Roger Milla. "Site established by the South African
Consulate in Chicago and Chicago World Cup to publicize local World Cup
|| © 1994-2011 The Board of Trustees of the Leland
Stanford Junior University. All rights reserved.
|Please send corrections to Karen Fung.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]