Patent & Technology Transfer Databases |
Patent Database Searching Aids & Techniques |
Document Delivery |
News Sources for Patents |
General Information on Patents |
Patent Offices & Organizations |
Commercial Database Producers & Vendors |
Patent Inventions & Technology Transfer |
Legal Resources on Patents Available on the Internet |
Internet Guides on Patents, Inventions & Technology Transfer
Patent Database Searching Aids & Techniques
Patent Search Aids
For U.S. Patents
- U.S. Patent Classifications (http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/oeip/taf/def/index.htm)
- Browse the U.S. Patent Classifications.
- U.S. Manual of Classification (http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/oeip/taf/moc/index.htm)
- Search the U.S. Manual of Classification.
- U.S. Patent Classifications with Definitions (http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/oeip/taf/def/index.htm)
- CNIDR is constructing a series of hyperlinked Patent
Classifications pages as part of the Patents Project. This page
provides direct links into the individual U.S. Classification
Schedule pages and the U.S. Class Definitions.
For Foreign Patents
- Inter Active Terminology for Europe (http://iate.europa.eu/iatediff/)
- Created by the European Union, translates between 10 European Languages
(Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish,
and Finnish). [formerly Eurodic Autom]
- Introductory Manual to the International Patent Classification (IPC) (http://www.wipo.int/classifications/en/ipc/manual/)
- Addressed to non-initiated users of the IPC, who wish to classify
patent documents and retrieve technological information contained
in patent documents.
- International Patent Classification in 5 Languages (http://www.dagostini.it/patclass/patclass.html)
- 5-Language (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian) Interactive Patent
Terminology & Classification by Giovanni D’Agostini.
- WIPO List of States, other Entities and Intergovernmental Organizations — Standard ST. 3 (pdf) (http://www.wipo.int/standards/en/pdf/03-03-01.pdf)
- This Recommended Standard provides two-letter alphabetic codes
which represent the names of States, other entities and
intergovernmental organizations, the legislation of which provides
for the protection of industrial property rights or which
organizations are acting in the framework of a treaty in the field
of industrial property.
- Patent Kind Codes (http://www.patentsonline.com.au/patent/patadcds.html)
- This table from Patents Online identifies the various stages, by each country, that a
patent application moves through during its life cycle.
- WIPO International Classifications (http://www.wipo.int/classifications/en/)
- “Four WIPO treaties created classification systems which organize
information concerning inventions, trademarks, and industrial designs
into indexed, manageable structures for easy retrieval. Regularly
updated to include changes and advances in technology and commercial
practices, the classification systems are used voluntarily by many
countries which are not member States of the related agreements.”
For Chemical Abstracts
- Patent Coverage in Chemical Abstracts (http://www.cas.org/expertise/cascontent/caplus/patcoverage/index.html)
- CAS covers patents from patent offices worldwide. These patents
are selected from over 23,000 International Patent Classification
(IPC) codes and U.S. National Patent Classification Codes.
- International Patent Classifications Lists for items in CA
- Guaranteed Coverage (http://www.cas.org/expertise/cascontent/caplus/patcoverage/ipcguar8.html)
- Patent documents that have one or more of these IPC codes
are guaranteed to be abstracted and indexed for the CAS
- Selective Coverage (http://www.cas.org/expertise/cascontent/caplus/patcoverage/part8.html)
- IPC groups that are selectively covered by CAS, i.e.,
patent documents that have one or more of these IPC codes
are automatically selected for further examination.
- Kind Codes for Patents in Chemical Abstracts Online (http://www.cas.org/expertise/cascontent/caplus/patcoverage/patkind.html)
- List of patent kind codes for the CA basic patents and patent
family members for the countries covered by CAS.
Patent Search Techniques
- Patent Searching Research Archives (http://www.ipmall.info/about/psra.asp)
- Part of the Franklin Pierce Law Center Intellectual Property Mall, contains a
collection of articles and web resources devoted to the study of patent
- PIUG wiki (http://wiki.piug.org/)
- PIUG wiki and its principal
Discussion Forum (PIUG-DF)
is for matters of general interest to the patent information users community.
- Guide to STN Patent Databases (pdf) (http://www.stn-international.com/fileadmin/be_user/STN/pdf/search_materials/patents/GuideFull_en_2008.pdf)
- Includes descriptions of all patent databases available through STN. Also
includes main search strategies used to search patent files.
- Dialog: How Do I…? Series (http://support.dialog.com/howdoi/)
- Includes search strategies for searching intellectual property files.
- Derwent Chemical Indexing ListServer (CHEMIND-L) (http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/resources/tips/list/CHEMINDL/index.shtml)
- An e-mail discussion forum for questions relating to indexing and searching chemical
structure information. To join, send an e-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the
text “SUB CHEMIND-L firstname lastname”.
- CHEMIND-L Archive
- To obtain archived messages from a particular month, send an e-mail to email@example.com
with the text “GET CHEMIND-L LOGyymm”.
November 24, 2009