An Introduction to Computer Searching of
STN International Version
- A microcomputer, including printer.
- Access to telecommunications.
The computer most be connected to a phone line via a modem or network with external communications capability. The modem or network communications link translates the electronic data from the telecommunications format into the computer and vice versa.
- Terminal emulation software.
Terminal emulations software is available for both IBM compatible terminals and Macintosh. IBM-compatible software includes, for example: Crosstalk, Procomm, DIALOGLink, STN Express. Macintosh software includes, for example: Red Ryder, White Knight, Versaterm-Pro, STN Express.
- An account with online service(s).
An account must be established with each online service to obtain a password and receive documentation about searching on the service and searching databases available on the service.
- Documentation from each online service is necessary to use the search protocols unique to that service.
- Database documentation defines and describes how to search databases available from that service. Note: searching of a database, e.g. Chemical Abstracts, varies somewhat depending on which online service you are.