skip to page content | skip to main navigation
 Catalog and Search Tools  Research Help   Libraries and Collections  Services  How To ...  About SULAIR

Academic Computing & Technology Support
Borrow, Renew & Request
Course Reserves
Interlibrary Services
Printing in SULAIR
Social Science Data & Software
For Teaching
For Users with Disabilities
For Visitors

Printer-Friendly Printer-Friendly     


Guidelines for Prepaid Copy Cards

Obtaining a Copy Card

Copy cards may be obtained as follows:

  1. Purchase a card at a DART copy card vending machine in the library with cash ($1 per card). More money may be added to the card by journal transfer as noted below or by feeding currency bills into the DART machine. Please use your correct account information and Expenditure Type 54520 ("Photocopy excluding Stanford Publication Services") when requesting reimbursement from your petty cash custodian or;

  2. Bring a memo to the Green Library Privileges Desk requesting a specific number of copy cards. Please indicate who will use the cards (state the department name) and have an authorized approver on the account sign the memo. The copy card(s) are issued over the counter. The copy card cannot be used until money is transferred to the card.

If you intend to charge photocopies to a sponsored project, please refer to section: "Additional Guidelines Applicable When Charging Prepaid Photocopies to Sponsored Projects" below before providing an account number. Option (b) above is recommended when a copy card is used to charge copies to sponsored projects.

Transferring Money to the Copy Card

Money may be transferred to one or more copy cards by preparing a web journal using the New Journal form ("Create New Inc./Exp. Journal") as follows:

  1. Charge (debit) the PFOO/PTAEO that will pay for the prepaid copies for the amount of money you wish to apply to the copy card. Use Expenditure Type 54520.
  2. Credit PFOO 1056643-EAFKG–21660 for the same amount of money you wish to apply to the copy card.
  3. Enter the copy card number in the description field of the journal. (The number can be found at the bottom right of the card below the bar code.)
  4. Please identify a departmental contact (name/extension/e-mail address) in the journal description.
  5. Route the journal to Teresa Fletcher (Bursar's Office) in addition to any required departmental approvers.
  6. As soon as the web journal is completely approved, Teresa Fletcher will add money to the copy card.

Incomplete information will delay the web journal. The departments are responsible for providing an appropriate account that may accept photocopy charges. Again, if you intend to charge photocopies to a sponsored project, please refer to section: "Additional Guidelines Applicable When Charging Prepaid Photocopies to Sponsored Projects" below before providing an account number.

Departments should use prudent judgment in determining how much money should be transferred to a copy card. The amount should correspond to the anticipated use of the card within a reasonable period of time.

Continuing Use of the Copy Card

Each copy card may be used indefinitely by adding more money by repeating the journal transfer process.

Refunds of Remaining Balances on Copy Cards

Refunds for unused amounts may be requested from the Bursar's Office. Please e-mail Claudia Nadalin with your request at ( Unused balances on copy cards charged to sponsored projects should be refunded or transferred to another copy card.

Lost or Stolen Copy Cards

If a card is lost, notify the ID Card Office immediately (telephone: 8-CARD [8-2273] or e-mail: so that the account can be closed as soon as possible and the remaining balance moved to another card/account. There is a $20 replacement fee for replacing lost cards. This fee may not be charged to sponsored projects.



  1. Photocopies may only be charged to a sponsored project when authorized by sponsor terms and conditions and University policy. In particular PIs/departmental administrators should be familiar with the Research Policy Hand-book (RPH 3.6) "Charging for Administrative and Technical Expenses". Often the photocopying performed in the library is technical in nature, directly supporting the aim of the sponsored project. However, photocopying is often considered an administrative charge, especially if administrative items (correspondence, expenditure reports, etc.) are being copied.

    1. The PIs/departmental administrators are responsible for verifying photocopies may be charged to a sponsored project.

    2. With the information transmitted to the Bursar's Office in (A.2) above, the department should provide a journal description stating that photocopy charges are allowable on sponsored project accounts charged. This should include a brief description of the nature of the copying and how it will benefit the project.

    3. If there are any questions about charging photocopies to a sponsored project, contact your Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) representative or call OSR at ext: 5-0086.
  2. The department should request a separate copy card for each sponsored project to be charged photocopies. The card should be clearly labeled or marked with the name of the project to ensure they will be used only for that project.

    1. The PIs/department administrators are responsible for labeling and controlling these cards and ensuring only authorized users and allowable charges are incurred on sponsored projects.

    2. If the charges are questioned, the department must be able to demonstrate adequate control over the use of the photocopy cards to ensure charges to sponsored projects are allowable, allocable and reasonable

  3. Photocopies should be charged to Expenditure Type 54520 "Photocopy — Excluding Stanford Publication Service" on sponsored project accounts. Journals do not have to be routed to OSR (Office of Sponsored Research) team members for approval.
  4. The department should request unused money remaining on a copy card charged to a sponsored project be refunded or transferred to another copy card account. Unused funds should always be promptly refunded or transferred after the award has expired.

Last modified: July 26, 2011

© Stanford University. Stanford, CA 94305. (650) 723-2300. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints
[an error occurred while processing this directive]