Declaring Anthropology as a MAJOR
- Apply for the B.A. in Anthropology on Axess.
- Students must apply in Axess for the B.A. Major in Anthropology by the time junior status is achieved (85 units).
- Fill out the Major Form (as best of your ability), or contact the department's student peer adviser(s) or the Undergraduate Student Services Specialist to prepare the form.
- Your course of study plan may be revised in the future as necessary; any revisions to the initial major form must be approved by the Student Services Specialist and/or your faculty advisor.
- Submit the required forms to the Undergraduate Student Services Specialist to review your Major Form and request a faculty advisor assignment.
- If you already have someone in mind with whom you have taken a class, or whom you have met through an informal gathering, you may send your faculty advisor request to the Undergraduate Student Services Specialist (you may submit up to 3 advisor preferences). Otherwise, the department will assign you a faculty advisor based on your emphasis and research interests.
- For a list of Anthropology Faculty, please see https://www.stanford.edu/dept/anthropology/cgi-bin/web/?q=view/faculty. If you still need help with choosing a faculty advisor, please stop by the Peer Advising office (50-52D) to speak with Anthropology Peer Advisors.
- Please also see http://www.stanford.edu/dept/undergrad/cgi-bin/drupal_ual/sites/default/..., for helpful information on approaching and managing your mentor.
- The Student Services Specialist will approve your Anthropology major request on Axess and add you to the UG Anthropology mailing list. You will also receive a folder that includes helpful information about the major as well as a small gift to welcome you in the department.
- You will receive written notification of your faculty advisor assignment via email. Once you have been assigned a faculty advisor, meet with your advisor to obtain approval of the Major Form.
- Most Anthropology faculty members will have an office hour sign-up sheet outside of their office. If the sign-up sheet is not available, you may contact your advisor to schedule an appointment to discuss your major plan and have your form approved.
- Bring the approved Major Form to the Undergraduate Student Services Specialist; your form will be placed in your file.