Lasers and Accelerators
I currently perform research on the physics of free electron lasers, particle beam dynamics and high power RF devices. I am presently teaching Introduction to Accelerator Physics, and other courses which I may offer over the next couple of years include nonlinear dynamics, and particle beam instabilities. I presently have one graduate student, but I would be happy to have more. I am a member of the FEL Physics group at SLAC which is headed by Zhirong Huang. The group works directly on the development of the LCLS and also on more general problems associated with the coming generation of FELS.
- Two-bunch self-seeding for narrow-bandwidth hard x-ray free-electron lasers
- X-ray structure determination of the glycine cleavage system protein H of Mycobacterium tuberculosis using an inverse Compton synchrotron X-ray source
- Hard X-ray Phase-Contrast Imaging with the Compact Light Source Based on Inverse Compton X-rays
- Fully Coherent X-ray Pulses from a Regenerative-Amplifier Free-Electron Laser
- Effects of Focusing on Radiation Damping and Quantum Excitation in Electron Storage Rings
- Laser-Electron Storage Ring