This site does not support Internet Explorer for Macintosh. Please use Safari, Firefox or Opera.

Program Locations

Non-Stanford Study Abroad Opportunities

Step 1: Research and Review Stanford University Policy and Procedures regarding Non-Stanford Study Abroad

Acquaint yourself with the Stanford University policy and procedures related to studying overseas with a non-Stanford program. You must review our website thoroughly and be aware of the following:

Leave of Absence
You must take a leave of absence from Stanford University to study overseas through a non-Stanford program for any quarter term of the academic year (excluding Summer Quarter) for which you do not wish to enroll in classes at Stanford. You should review all possible ramifications of taking a leave of absence by checking with appropriate University offices (e.g., Housing Assignments, Financial Aid, Student Financial Services, Bechtel International Center, Vaden Health Center) to determine how taking a leave of absence impacts your status with these offices. Students on a leave of absence are not registered and, therefore, do not have the rights and privileges of registered students. For further information, please check the Office of the University Registrar website.

Transfer Credit
While credit is guaranteed on Stanford-operated overseas programs, it is not guaranteed on non-Stanford study abroad programs. If you wish to transfer credit and apply those credits toward your Stanford undergraduate’s degree, you should follow the Stanford University transfer credit policy and have the courses approved by the Bing Overseas Studies Program (BOSP). In order to meet major or minor requirements through transfer work, you must have the courses approved by the appropriate department/major after getting approval from BOSP. Please see the Transfer Credit Process section for more information on how to request for transfer credit pre-approval.

Financial Aid
If you choose to attend a non-Stanford program, you are not eligible to receive any Stanford University-administered aid during that time. You may arrange for a consortium agreement in order to use your federal or state aid to assist with the cost of courses taken elsewhere which apply toward your Stanford degree program. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to find out more information on consortium agreements and your eligibility for financial aid.

If you are on financial aid, please note that enrollment at non-Stanford institutions counts toward an undergraduate student's maximum number of quarters for purposes of receiving financial aid funds. Students must contact the Financial Aid Office to find out how doing non-Stanford study abroad programs might impact their eligibility of financial aid funds for subsequent quarters at Stanford.

After reading this guide you might feel that there is a lot of paperwork. It might seem so, but many Stanford students have successfully studied overseas this way, so don't be alarmed!

Top of page