This site does not support Internet Explorer for Macintosh. Please use Safari, Firefox or Opera.

Program Locations

Travel Documents: Passports

A passport is a travel document that functions as an official form of identification and allows the bearer to enter and leave most foreign countries. Every BOSP participant MUST have a signed passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the scheduled RETURN date from the overseas program. In some cases, such as for programs that require visas, the length of validity may be longer.




BOSP's recommended visa and passport service provider: A BRIGGS Passport and Visa Expeditors


U.S. Citizens
If you need to apply for a U.S. passport, please request expedited service to ensure that your passport will arrive before the required materials deadline. To apply for or to renew a U.S. passport, please click here.


If you must have your passport in less than 3 weeks, BOSP recommends that you use A Briggs to expedite your passport:


Do not forget to make two photocopies of your passport before you depart, and leave them at home with family or friends in case your passport is lost or stolen overseas.

U.S. Permanent Residents
If you are a U.S. Permanent Resident, you are not a U.S. citizen. You will still need to have a passport from the country of your citizenship that is valid 6 months after the date of your scheduled return. You might also need to get a visa, dependent on your country of citizenship.

If you are concerned about your citizenship status, are on refugee status or have questions about visas please contact the Orientation Coordinator.

Non-U.S. Citizens
Please make sure that you notify the Orientation Coordinator in the BOSP office of your nationality early in the Orientation quarter.  Visa applications for non-U.S. citizens often involve a longer processing time.

All participating non-U.S. citizens who are studying at Stanford on a F-1 or J-1 status, need to request a “travel signature” on their DS-2019 (formerly IAP-66) or I-20 from Bechtel International Center before departure. You will be permitted to re-enter the U.S. on the same student status only if you get this signature before you leave. For more information go to the Bechtel International Center at Stanford University website.