Travel Grants for our 2012-13 Annual Conference
Applications are invited from advanced graduate students and postdoctoral fellows based in the United States for traveling to our 2012-13 Conference on Image as Animation: Mysticism, Magic, and Poetry in Byzantine Christian and Islamic Religious Experience. Grants will cover travel and lodging expenses. Recipients will not present papers, but are expected to actively contribute to the conference discussions.
The conference will take place on May 10, 2013 at Stanford University. Confirmed presenters include Panagiotis Agapitos (University of Cyprus), Shahzad Bashir (Stanford University), Persis Berlekamp (University of Chicago), Jamal Elias (University of Pennsylvania), Beatrice Gruendler (Yale University), Alexander Key (Stanford University), Bissera Pentcheva (Stanford University), and Michael Sells (University of Chicago). By simultaneously exploring Greek Christian and Arabic, Persian, and Turkish Islamic sources, presenters will focus on the metaphysical dimension of “image;” the connections between “image-making” and magic; as well as “image” understood as a creation of the mouth, breath, and orality and manifested in the actions of the body such as prayer, the singing of psalms, or the recitation of the Qur’an and poetry. Paper abstracts and the preliminary program are available on the conference website. The conference is co-sponsored by the Department of Art & Art History, Department of Religious Studies, Center for Medieval Studies, and Stanford Humanities Center.
- Applicants’ current research must be directly related to the topics addressed by the conference.
- Applicants must be affiliated with a U.S. university as an advanced graduate student or a post-doctoral fellow. Graduate students must have completed their fieldwork and must be actively engaged in writing their dissertation.
- Recipients residing outside of San Francisco Bay Area will be reimbursed for their U.S.-bound air travel and will also be provided lodging for the nights of May 9 – 10, 2013.
- Recipients residing in the Bay Area will receive lodging for the nights of May 9 – 10, 2013, and reimbursement for their commute to Stanford.
- To accommodate more applicants, all applicants are encouraged to apply for funding from their home institution.
Applications must be submitted online. Please complete the online application form, and submit a CV, an itemized budget, and a one-page proposal explaining how the conference relates to the applicant’s current research. Applications must be submitted by April 2, 2013. Late, incomplete, or emailed applications will not be reviewed.
For questions or more information, please contact Dr. Burcak Keskin- Kozat (Associate Director, The Sohaib and Sara Abbasi Program in Islamic Studies).