Practice Recovery Procedures
Beware that any encryption can result in irretrievable loss of data if the keys/passwords are misplaced or destroyed; consult a qualified system administrator if you feel you need assistance.
To arrange a practice session with your DRA, start by submitting a HelpSU Request to request a practice recovery session. When your DRA arrives, you will work together to recover files as if it were an emergency recovery situation.
- To establish a situation where you cannot access your files, export your key to removable media and delete your keys from your computer.
- The DRA imports his certificate onto your computer.
- Using Windows Explorer, right-click on your encrypted file or folder and select Properties.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Uncheck the Encrypt Contents to Secure Data checkbox and click OK.
- Click OK to close the Properties window.
- The DRA removes his certificate from the computer.
- Import your keys to the computer to continue to manage your files normally.
The file is now accessible. You may now re-encrypt the files or folders you unencrypted.