Self-Help KnowledgeBase Project
On this page:
Stanford Answers is a centrally-hosted web knowledgebase service that provides members of the Stanford community with easy access to consulting solutions and self-help information. The service runs on a tool provided by RightAnswers, Inc., and is licensed and hosted by IT Services.
For Stanford organizations that provide support services and assistance to the Stanford community, adopting the answers-sa.stanford.edu support analyst web portal can help to improve the consistency, accuracy, and timeliness of answers they provide to clients. Note: Each support analyst portal is restricted via WebAuth to members of the corresponding support organization.
For individual members of the Stanford community, the answers.stanford.edu portal (currently limited to IT Services topics and off-the-shelf, commercial computer products) will provide direct and easy access to verified answers that will reduce the need to place calls to various offices and to submit HelpSU requests.
Currently, the Stanford Answers self-service web site covers desktop computing and other information technology topics supported by Stanford’s IT Services department. Many of the answers and solutions are consolidated from ithelp.stanford.edu, faq.stanford.edu, and numerous online FAQ-style documents. Stanford Answers also contains a large set of answers licensed from RightAnswers, Inc., about off-the-shelf, commercial computer products. Because this content is licensed for Stanford, access requires a login with SUNet ID and password.
The Stanford Answers framework is flexible enough to accommodate a wide variety of uses. As of Summer 2007, Stanford organizations other than IT Services are already adopting or planning to adopt this tool to help them better serve their own audiences.
Content Provider Responsibilities
Information defined as “restricted” by HIPAA, FERPA, or other regulations or University policy, may not be made available via Stanford Answers. In addition, Stanford organizations that adopt the Stanford Answers tool and participate in this service are required to agree to certain content and operational commitments to ensure that solutions remain up-to-date and that the service is useful and reliable.
Schedule and Status of Deliverables
Project Status: green
- October 31, 2006: Kickoff sessions with RightAnswers
- November 30, 2006: Begin running the RightAnswers (KM) portal with pre-loaded, purchased content
- December 15, 2006: Pilot the system using a sampling of Stanford-loaded, custom content
- January 31, 2007: Integrate the with Remedy help system
- February 16, 2007: User acceptance testing complete (in development environment)
- April 16, 2007: Initial loading of all custom content complete
- May 16, 2007: IT Services Production Acceptance process/checklist complete
- May 18, 2007: User acceptance testing complete (in production environment)
- May 29, 2007: Release to IT Services support groups (Go Live)
- July 9, 2007: Public release to Stanford community
- July 13, 2007: Project Close