|Oracle® Objects for OLE Developer's Guide
10g Release 1 (10.1)
Part Number B10118-01
Unlike other COM-based database connectivity APIs, such as Microsoft ADO, the OO4O Automation Server has been developed and evolved specifically for use with Oracle database servers. It provides an optimized API for accessing features that are unique to Oracle and are otherwise cumbersome or inefficient to use from ODBC or OLE DB components.
OO4O provides key features for accessing Oracle databases efficiently and easily in environments ranging from the typical two-tier client/server applications, such as those developed in Visual Basic or Excel, to application servers deployed in multitiered application server environments such as Web server applications in Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) or Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS).
· Support for the ConnectionOK property.
· Support for Failover Notification.
· Full Support for Oracle Object-Relational and LOB Datatypes
· PL/SQL Support for execution of PL/SQL anonymous blocks and stored procedures. This includes support for Oracle datatypes allowed for input/output parameters of PL/SQL stored procedures including PL/SQL cursors.
· Support for scrollable and updatable cursors for easy and efficient access to result sets of queries. Refer to OraDynaset.
· Full support for Advanced Queuing in Oracle.
· Support for Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS).