Frequently Anticipated Questions
- Must I be a physics major?
- No, you do not need to be a declared physics major. You are encouraged to apply if you are considering being a physics major. If you aren't interested in physics at all the conference won't be very interesting to you.
- I attended last year. Can I come again?
- The content of this year's conference won't be identical to last year's, so attending again is an option. However, if we receive more applications than we can accomodate, preference may be given to students who haven't attended previously.
- What will increase my chances of being accepted to the conference?
- First, make sure you submit your registration application by the deadline. Second, make sure you put some thought into why you want to attend and what you want to get out of the conference. Make sure you answer all questions on the application fully and honestly.
- How will the registration fee be refunded?
- If you attend the conference, you will be given a check for $50 when you arrive. Note that you must have filled out the pre-conference survey.
- What do I need to do before registering?
- You need to talk to your department chair or director of undergraduate studies before registering to see if they will fund your travel. You should also think about how you would get to the Stanford area for the weekend: would you fly or drive, for instance. You should be prepared to pay a $50 deposit, which will be completely refunded if you attend the conference or cancel before October 24th. You will be refunded $40 if you cancel before December 5th but after October 24th.
- Why is there a deposit of $50 that will be refunded to me when I attend the conference?
- The purpose of the refundable deposit is to encourage you to let us know if your plans change and you cannot attend the conference after all. Accommodation and meals will be provided for all participants. If a registered participant does not show up for the conference, we must still pay for the room and food. Also, in the event that we have more applicants than we can accommodate, we will have turned down a student who wanted to attend yet we will have spare accommodation and extra food. If you register for the conference and then realize that you will not be able to attend, please let us know immediately. If you let us know by October 24th you will receive a full refund, and you will receive $40 back if you cancel by December 5th. No refunds will be given for cancellations after December 6th.
- What address do you want on the registration form?
- We want the address at which you regularly receive mail so we can send the reimbursement check.
- What if I haven't yet declared a major?
- On the registration form you can enter "undeclared".
- How do I know the amount my department will contribute?
- You need to talk to your department chair or director of undergraduate studies before registering.
- Do I need to book my travel before registering?
- No, but you should have an estimate of the cost. Due to the limited nature of our funds, we ask that you find an economical means of transportation.
- Can I request housing later?
- We must have all room requests by November 15th.
- I am a Stanford student. Do I need to register?
- Yes, all attendees must register by the deadline.
Travel and Hotel
- Can I come late? Can I leave early? Can I skip things that I'm not interested in?
- Because your travel costs are reimbursable, it is expected that you will attend all of the official events as scheduled. If you have special circumstances, please contact us to discuss them.
- When can I check in?
- Check in for the Stanford Guest House is at 3 PM
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- There is a section for this on the registration form. If you believe your dietary needs are unusual, please contact us and we will work to accomodate you.
- What are the hotel accomodations?
- Most of the rooms in the SLAC guest house have one double bed and will have two students assigned. Some rooms sleep 4 people. We welcome room-mate requests on the registration form and will do our best to assign room-mates accordingly. You can bring a sleeping bag and mat if you do not wish to share a bed.
- When will I find out my room-mates?
- We will have a password-protected list posted on the website of the assigned room-mates.
- Will you help me find a carpool?
- We will send out a list of registered participants after the close of registration. We hope you can use that to find other students from the area to carpool with.
- How can I get to and from the airport?
- There is a website with information on shuttles from the airport. For instance, SuperShuttle allows you to book online and pay by credit card ahead of time. It is $25 each way, but only $10 for each additional passenger to the same location. Please coordinate with others arriving at the same time to book together. Note that a cab fare may be $80, so this is not recommended.
- What if I have changed my mind about presenting a poster?
- Information regarding posters will be available on this page.
- How is this funded?
- The Stanford conference is receiving support from the Departments of Physics and Applied Physics at Stanford University, the School of Humanities and Science, the Office of the Provost, and the Clayman Institute for Gender Research at Stanford University. Parts of the conference are sponsored by the SLAC National Accelerator Center and Google Inc. The organizers of the six regional conferences have applied together for support from the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy Office of Science.