Graduate Life Office

The Graduate Life Office (GLO) works closely with students and student groups, including Community Associates (residence volunteers), the Graduate Student Program Board, and the Graduate Student Council to create a welcoming and inclusive environment through a variety of orientation and ongoing programs within the residences and campus-wide. GLO staff also work with individual students who need information and support, or who may be experiencing personal challenges. Staff members are knowledgeable about and have access to support and resources available throughout the University.

The GLO offices are located in the Escondido Village Office at 859 Comstock Circle and the Graduate Community Center at 750 Escondido Road. The GLO can be reached by phone at (650) 723-1171;


All residences are located within a ten minutes walk or biking distance of most classrooms and libraries. The free Marguerite Shuttle is available throughout the campus, with stops at the Stanford Shopping Center and the Palo Alto train station, making it possible to live on campus without a car. Options, routes and schedules are available at:


Limited parking is provided near each residence. You need a permit to park a car, motorcycle or scooter at Stanford. Permits are for a lot or zone, not to a specific parking space. Parking & Transportation Services sells all parking permits. You may arrange to purchase your permit online, by U.S. mail or in person at the Parking and Transportation office. Allow ten days for delivery if you submit your order online or at least five weeks if you order by mail. Please note, there is no grace period for parking enforcement.

Parking & Transportation Services
340 Bonair Siding, Stanford, CA 94305
(650) 723-9362,

Mail & Deliveries

U.S. mail delivery is provided to all graduate residences.

In-room Communications and Computing

All students who live in on-campus housing will be automatically assessed a Communications Fee on their University Bill, alongside room & board, house dues, etc. Residents may sign up for in-room network connections without additional connection fees, and all rooms have land-line phones with basic telephone service. More information on the Communications Fee is available on the Residential Computing web at: Ethernet connections will be arranged with Residential Computing after your arrival. Long-distance phone service and cable television are available for a monthly fee.(call (650) 497-HELP). In-room TV antennas are permitted for students who do not wish to subscribe to cable service. However, external antennas and satellite dishes are not allowed.

Smoke-free Environment Policy

Smoking is prohibited in or about University residences, including interior common areas, individual rooms and apartments, covered walkways, outdoor areas where smoke may drift into buildings, and during organized indoor or outdoor events. This policy applies to residents, their family members, and their guests; residents are responsible for ensuring family members and guests abide by this policy.

Pet Policy

Keeping pets of any kind (including fish, hamsters, etc.) in or about University residences is prohibited. Violations result in an administrative fee of $100 per day until the pet is removed, plus cleaning fees if necessary, and possible loss of housing privileges.

University Access to Rooms

The University reserves the right to enter any room at any reasonable time for the purpose of inspection, maintenance, or repair, and at any time in case of an emergency. You may not change the lock or place additional locks on any door of your room, or any other doors within a residence. In the event of an emergency, the University may remove students’ belongings for cleaning, repair, storage, and/or protection.

Construction and Renovation

The University  regularly updates existing residence halls and apartments, including substantial renovations, seismic strengthening, asbestos abatement, roof replacement and lead paint management. During renovations, some students may be required to move to different rooms or temporarily vacate their current rooms while work is underway. We will, however, make every effort to perform work when apartments vacate or in unobtrusive ways while students are in residence. If moves are necessary, we will make every effort to minimize the impact this temporary relocation may have on student life. Students who need to move because their apartment is scheduled to be renovated or demolished will remain under contract and will not be released from contract unless they are otherwise eligible for release.

Renovations, new construction, other major University construction projects or unforeseen repair projects will necessarily cause increased noise, dust and traffic impact around directly involved and nearby residences, as well as throughout other housing areas. Due to the scope of projects, some work  will occur during the academic year. Prior to and up to a year after a major construction project, continual work may occur in and around a residence.

Lead Advisory

Federal and California laws require that notice be provided to persons who are exposed to even extremely small quantities of lead. Housing built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. Lead from paint chips and dust can pose health hazards if not managed properly. Lead exposure is especially harmful to young children and pregnant women. Before renting pre-1978 housing, property owners must disclose the presence of lead-based paint and/ or lead-based paint hazards in the dwelling. Lessees must also receive a federally approved pamphlet on lead poisoning prevention.

Stanford University has an ongoing testing program for lead in Escondido Village and provides information to Escondido Village families and Resident Fellows with children. Testing has indicated low levels of lead in dust, soil and sand samples. Previous testing of painted surfaces in Escondido Village revealed varying levels of lead in the paint in the apartment units tested. Disclosures and a federally approved pamphlet about ways to minimize risk are available online:

Additional Residence Descriptions

The graduate housing residence chart provides a brief comparison of the single student options, including capacity, cooking facilities, and cost. If you would like further information about a residence, please contact the appropriate Housing Front Desk. Additionally, you may view a searchable campus map to find graduate residences.

Last modified Fri, 20 Jun, 2014 at 16:27