• Familiarize yourself with the Emergency Evacuation Map in your room. Locate the Emergency Assembly point outside your building. Emergency Information

  • Establish ground rules with your roommate. Discuss issues like noise level, guests, cleaning, personal and shared property, and how you will resolve any differences that arise. For tips on establishing a good relationship, see Living with a Roommate.

  • Fill out the Room Condition or Apartment Inventory Form. If you are an undergraduate, you can fill out the form online; graduate students receive a copy of the form in their check-in packet and should complete and return it to their Housing Front Desk.

  • Set up your in-room computer connection. Plug one end of a standard Ethernet cable into your computer and the other into the colored jack in your room, and then open a web browser. You will be guided through an automatic registration process. For assistance, contact your Resident Computer Consultant.

  • Review tips and policies on personalizing your room or apartment.

  • Buy a parking permit if you own a car. Permits are sold at Parking & Transportation Services (P&TS), 340 Bonair Siding, (650) 723-9362. The offi ce is open Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can also order permits on the P&TS website. http://transportation.stanford.edu/parking_info/ParkingInformation.shtml

  • Register your bike. If you purchase a bike or bring one from home, you must register it with Santa Clara County. This is your only chance of recovering it if it is stolen. See Getting Around.

  • Update your address, telephone number, and privacy settings in Axess, under the Personal Info tab. https://axess.stanford.edu/

  • Order cable TV and/or additional telephone services if you like. Several monthly cable plans are available. Room phones are equipped with basic service, including free local and domestic long distance calling, but you can also enable voice mail or caller ID for an additional fee. http://www.stanford.edu/services/computing/

  • If you did not receive your ID card at check-in, or have lost your card, visit the Student Services Center on the second floor of Tresidder Memorial Union. Tel. (650) 723-7772. http://www.stanford.edu/group/studentservicescenter/

For more information

Undergraduates: Consult your Approaching Stanford handbook or the website. http://frosh.stanford.edu 

Graduate students: Check the Graduate Student Information Center website. http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/glo/gsic

Last modified Wed, 28 May, 2014 at 15:48