How You Can Help Save Energy
With just five percent of the world’s population, the United States generates 25 percent of all greenhouse gases. Electricity production is the largest contributor and, in California, resources are stretched to the point that we have become vulnerable to occasional rolling blackouts.
You can help save energy by adopting these simple practices:
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Turn off your computer when not in use.
- Report non-functioning light fixtures.
- Don’t open windows when the heat is on.
- Use natural light during the day.
- Minimize decorative lighting. When you do decorate, use LED rope lights.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Use compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs for personal lamps; they use only one-fourth the energy and last up to 10 times longer than incandescent light bulbs. Learn about Student Housing’s CFL giveaways.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Share a refrigerator.
- Walk or ride a bicycle whenever you can.
- Use Energy Star-rated appliances.
Last modified Wed, 22 Jun, 2011 at 10:29