skip to content

Bulletin Archive

This archived information is dated to the 2009-10 academic year only and may no longer be current.

For currently applicable policies and information, see the current Stanford Bulletin.

Coterminal B.S. and M.S. Program in Energy Resources Engineering

The coterminal B.S./M.S. program offers an opportunity for Stanford University students to pursue a graduate experience while completing the B.S. degree in any relevant major. Energy Resources Engineering graduate students generally come from backgrounds such as chemical, civil, or mechanical engineering; geology or other earth sciences; or physics or chemistry. Students should have a background at least through MATH 53 and CS 106 before beginning graduate work in this program.

The two types of M.S. degrees, the course work only degree and the research degree, as well as the courses required to meet degree requirements, are described below in the M.S. section. Both degrees require 45 units and may take from one to two years to complete depending on circumstances unique to each student.

Requirements to enter the program are: two letters of recommendation from faculty members or job supervisors, a statement of purpose, scores from the GRE general test, and a copy of Stanford University transcripts. While the department does not require any specific GPA or GRE score, potential applicants are expected to compete favorably with graduate student applicants.

A Petroleum Engineering or Energy Resources Engineering master's degree can be used as a terminal degree for obtaining a professional job in the petroleum or energy industries, or in any related industry where analyzing flow in porous media or computer simulation skills are required. It can also be a stepping stone to a Ph.D. degree, which usually leads to a professional research job or an academic position.

Students should apply to the program any time after they have completed 105 undergraduate units, and in time to take ENERGY 120, the basic introductory course in Autumn Quarter of the year they wish to begin the program. Contact the Department of Energy Resources Engineering to obtain additional information. For University coterminal degree program rules and University application forms, see

© Stanford University - Office of the Registrar. Archive of the Stanford Bulletin 2009-10. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints