Minor in African Studies
The Center for African Studies awards a minor in African Studies. Students majoring in any field qualify for this minor by meeting the following requirements:
- A minimum of 25 units of Africa-related courses. Students may not double-count courses for completing major and minor requirements.
- At least one quarter's exposure to a sub-Saharan African language. The Center for African Studies and the Special Languages Program may arrange instruction in any of several languages spoken in West, East, Central, and Southern Africa.
- One introductory course that deals with more than one region of Africa.
- A minimum 25-page research paper, with a focus on Africa. This paper may be an extension of a previous paper written for an African Studies course.
- A designated focus of study, either disciplinary or regional, through a three-course concentration.
Upon completion of requirements, final certification of the minor is made by the Center for African Studies and appears on the student's transcript.