Minor in Latin American Studies
The Minor in Latin American Studies is open to students in any major. Students who wish to complete the minor must declare online (through Axess) and submit a proposal of course work no later than the second quarter of their junior year. The minor must be completed by the second quarter of the senior year. Units taken for a student's major cannot be double-counted towards the minor.
Requirements for the minor include:
- Completion of 25 units as follows:
- A 5-unit course surveying Latin America: HISTORY 70, Culture, Politics, and Society in Latin America (or an approved substitute)
- 20 additional units in a number of courses which together comprise a coherent focus on a theoretical problem or issue of the region, such as (but not limited to) culture and identity, political economy, or sustainable development. All courses, with the exception of Overseas Studies courses, must be at the 100-level or higher. For approved courses, see the "Latin American Studies Cognate Courses" section of this bulletin.
- At least 10 of the 25 units must be completed at Stanford.
2. Fulfill the Foreign Language Requirement. The minimum requirement for completion of the minor in Latin American Studies is advanced proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese by any one of the following means:
- Successful completion of seven quarters of college-level study of Spanish or Portuguese.
- Completion of a course taught in Spanish or Portuguese at the 100-level or higher, with a letter grade of 'B' (3.0) or higher. This may be a course on Spanish or Portuguese language or literature, or some other subject, as long as it fulfills the above criteria.
- Achievement of the advanced proficiency level on the ACTFL scale in a test administered by the Stanford Language Center. Contact the Language Center for test dates and procedures.
3. Recommended: experience in Latin America such as study abroad, field research, or an internship.
Upon completion of all requirements, the CLAS subcommittee on undergraduate programs authorizes the designation of the Minor in Latin American Studies on the student's transcript.