The Board of Trustees
Powers and DutiesThe Board of Trustees is custodian of the endowment and all properties of the University. The Board administers the invested funds, sets the annual budget, and determines policies for the operation and control of the University. The powers and duties of the Board of Trustees derive from the Founding Grant, amendments, legislation, and court decrees. In addition, the Board operates under its own bylaws and a series of resolutions on major policy.
MembershipBoard membership is set at 35, including the President of the University who serves ex officio and with vote. Trustees serve a five-year term and are eligible for appointment to one additional five-year term. At the conclusion of that term, a Trustee is not eligible for reelection until after a lapse of one year. Eight of the Trustees are elected or appointed in accordance with the Rules Governing the Election or Appointment of Alumni Nominated Trustees. They serve a five-year term.
Officers of the BoardThe officers of the board are a chair, one or more vice chairs, a secretary, and an associate secretary. Officers are elected to one-year terms at the annual meeting in June, with the exception of the chair, who serves a two-year term. Their terms of office begin July 1.
CommitteesStanding committees of the Board are Academic Policy, Planning, and Management; Alumni and External Affairs; Audit and Compliance; Development; Finance; Land and Buildings; the Medical Center; and Trusteeship. Special committees include Athletics, Compensation, Investment Responsibility, and Litigation.
MeetingsThe Board generally meets five times each year.
Members of the Board of Trustees as of August 2011
- Robert M. Bass, President, Keystone Group LP, Fort Worth, TX
- William R. Brody, President, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA
- Brook H. Byers, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Menlo Park, CA
- James E. Canales, President and CEO, The James Irvine Foundation, San Francisco, CA
- James G. Coulter, Founding Partner, TPG Capital, LP, San Francisco, CA
- Deborah A. DeCotis, Private Investor, D Squared Holdings LLC, New York, NY
- Steven A. Denning, Chairman, General Atlantic LLC, Greenwich, CT
- Bruce W. Dunlevie, General Partner, Benchmark Capital, Menlo Park, CA
- Armando Garza, Chairman, Alfa, Garza Garcia, NL, MX
- John A. Gunn, Chairman Emeritus and Director, Dodge and Cox, San Francisco, CA
- Christine U. Hazy, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Sketch Foundation, Los Angeles, CA
- John L. Hennessy, President, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Leslie P. Hume, San Francisco, CA
- Ronald B. Johnson, CEO, J.C. Penney, Plano, TX
- Ann H. Lamont, Managing Partner, Oak Investment Partners, Greenwich, CT
- Frank D. Lee, CEO, Dragonfly Sciences, Inc., Wellesley, MA
- Goodwin Liu, Associate Justice, California State Supreme Court, San Francisco, CA
- Susan R. McCaw, President, COM Investments, Santa Barbara, CA
- Hamid R. Moghadam, Chairman & Co-CEO, Prologis, Inc., San Francisco, CA
- Wendy Munger, South Pasadena, CA
- Paul A. Ormond, Chairman, President, CEO, HCR ManorCare, Inc., Toledo, OH
- Ruth M. Porat, Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Morgan Stanley, New York, NY
- Penny S. Pritzker, Chairman, TransUnion, Chicago, IL
- Miriam Rivera, Managing Partner, Ulu Ventures, Palo Alto, CA
- Victoria B. Rogers, President, Rose Hills Foundation, Los Angeles, CA
- Richard A. Sapp, Rancho Santa Fe, CA
- Kavitark Ram Shriram, Founder, Sherpalo Ventures, Menlo Park, CA
- Ronald P. Spogli, Founding Partner, Freeman Spogli & Co., Los Angeles, CA
- Isaac Stein, President, Waverley Associates, Atherton, CA
- Thomas F. Steyer, Senior Managing Member, Farallon Capital Management, LLC, San Francisco, CA
- Vaughn C. Williams, Of Counsel, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom, New York, NY
- Jerry Yang, Comprehensive Financial Management, Los Gatos, CA