Museum History Interactive Timeline
|1963||Professor Lorenz Eitner, new chair of the art department, begins museum revival|
In 1954, the museum reopened after nine years of stocktaking, but its true revival had to wait for the strong leadership of Professor Lorenz Eitner, who was instated as chair of the department of art and architecture in 1963 as part of the university's revitalization of the humanities under Dean Robert R. Sears.
Assisted by faculty, staff, and The Committee for Art at Stanford University, Dr. Eitner began to revive the museum. During the next 25 years, galleries were gradually refurbished, the collections were significantly strengthened and an excellent program of exhibitions, educational services, and publications was put in place.