Methodological work done by members of ERRG has included:
Fields of application have included:
- Optimization of warning systems
- Cost-effectiveness of public policies
- Safety goals for industrial facilities
- Extension of Probabilistic Risk Analysis methods to include human and organizational factors: the System-Action-Management (SAM) model
- Managing the trade-offs between productivity and safety
- Treatment of ambiguity (poorly known risks) in rational decision-making
- Integration of technical failure risks and organizational failure risks in managing engineering programs: The Advanced Programmatic Risk Analysis (APRAM) model
- Resource allocation and incentive systems for optimum reliability
- Early technology assessment of engineered systems
Past doctoral theses in the group have included:
- Earthquake risk mitigation
- Management of the safety of dams
- Chemical plants
- Nuclear power plants
- Command and Control systems for national security
- Offshore oil platforms
- Space systems (the space shuttle, unmanned spacecraft and launch vehicles)
- Medical risk (anesthesia and medical devices)
- Airline safety (maintenance and safety)
- Processing of intelligence information
- Assessment of terrorist threats
- Automotive industry problems
- C. Claudio: "Design and Evaluation of Warning Systems: Application to Nuclear Power Plants," August 1985.
- Y. Bonduelle: "Diagnosis and Reconciliation of Experts Disagreement," September 1987.
- D. Davis: "The Effect of Ambiguity on Lottery Preferences," June 1990.
- P. Fischbeck: "Epistemic Uncertainty in Rational Decisions," December 1990.
- P. Reagan: "Architecture and Prototype of a Hybrid Decision Support System for Risk Management on Offshore Platforms," June 1993.
- D. Murphy: "Organizational Aspects of Engineering System Safety," October 1994.
- M. Baron: "Managing the Tradeoff Between Productivity and Safety: The Case of Nuclear Reactors Outages," January 1996.
- C. Pugnetti: "Probabilistic Risk Analysis As A Management Tool in the Design Process: Application to Satellite Design," February 1997.
- L. Lakats: "Designing Human and Technical Systems for the Communication of Critical Information: A Systems Analysis Approach," March, 1997.
- R. Dillon: "Programmatic Risk Analysis: "Engineering and Management Risk Tradeoffs for interdependent projects," June 1999.
- M. Sachon: "Strategic R&D Decisions for Critical Systems," March 2000.
- S. Guikema: "Optimal Resource Allocation in an Engineering Design Team with Asymmetric Information " August 2003.
- J.B. Pietzsch: "Early Technology Assessment of New Medical Devices and Procedures" July 2004.