Stanford Deputy Sheriffs are deputized by the Sheriff of Santa Clara County and perform peace officer duties on the Stanford University Campus. Deputies wear uniforms, carry firearms and operate marked patrol vehicles.
Deputies enforce state and county ordinances to make arrests. They must be able to physically control violent persons and exercise good judgement and self-control in the discharge of their duties.
Deputies must be able to write involved investigative reports and conduct follow-ups. This position involves considerable overtime and shift work. Deputies must remain physically and mentally alert for extended periods of time.
Deputies receive extensive training as required by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) and receive a basic Police Academy Diploma, upon graduation.
Deputies receive specialized training in dignitary protection and crowd control. The Department works closely with Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies. We frequently provide protective security for dignitary visits and high level visitors who do not have government support staff.
Campus housing options available at Stanford West Apartments
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- 21 years of age.
- Weight proportional to height.
- Vision not less than 20/100 in each eye; correctable to not less than 20/30 in each eye;
without functional color-blindness or impairment.
- Normal hearing in each ear.
- Ability to pass polygraph, drug screening, extensive background
psychological and medical examinations.
- Forty-five (45) semester units or sixty (60) quarter units of college course work.
- Related work experience, such as campus police, security, military or civilian law enforcement, highly
NOTE: Lateral entry applicants must have eighteen (18) months of current California sworn peace officer status.
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility
- Core Values Class & Written Assignment
- Oral Board
- Personal History Questionnaire
- Polygraph Examination
- Background Investigation
- Chief's Interview
Successful Candidates Proceed to the Medical Process
- Psychological Examination
- Complete Medical Examination
Deputization by Sheriff
Click here for more information on the recruitment process.
- Base Salary:
Training A: Academy Recruit - $6,447/mo.
Training B: Academy Graduate in FTO - $6,677/mo.
Step 1 - Step 6 (after completion of FTO Program) $6,913 - $8,232/mo.
- Supplemental Salary (RSI Program):
Additional 20% of one's base salary (intended to be used for retirement savings). Supplemental pay (RSI) is considered pay for purposes of the Stanford Contributory Retirement Plan (SCRP), but it is not used to determine overtime pay or premium pay.
- Premium pay for a 4-year degree, plus an additional percentage for a graduate degree at the level of Master's or above.
- Shift differential for evening / night :$2.50/hr.
- Uniform or Uniform allowance.
- Other specialty position premiums.
- Annual vacation:
10 paid days the first year,
15 days after 2 years,
17 days after 5 years,
22 days after 10 years, and
24 days after 15 years.
- Twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
- Stanford Contributory Retirement Plan
- Staff Training Assistance Program: up to $800/year
- Annual Tuition reimbursement grant: up to $5,250
- Tuition benefits for children of employees.
- Choice of several Health and Dental Plans.
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance paid by employer. ($200,000, additional coverage available at employee cost.)
- Annual Child Care Subsidy grant of up to $5,000
- Access to Stanford's Health Improvement program and athletic facilities
- Entry Level Deputy: Academy plus nine months from successful completion of FTO.
- Academy Graduate: Nine months from successful completion of FTO.
- Lateral: Nine months from successful completion of FTO.
Stanford Jobs Openings
© Stanford University. Stanford, California 94305. (650) 723-2300.