PEDESTRIAN SAFETY ZONE
Pedestrian Zone and White Plaza Access
Stanford University's Central Pedestrian Zone (PZ) was established to create a safer central campus for pedestrians and cyclists, preserve facilities, and minimize the disruption of university activities through the elimination of unnecessary vehicular traffic. All vehicles (including motorized carts) require authorization prior to accessing the PZ and must display the appropriate PZ permit while moving through or parking in the PZ. For additional information: http://transportation.stanford.edu/parking_info/pedzone.shtml
Mopeds, Scooters, and Motorcycles
- Motorized vehicles, including motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds, are not allowed in the inner campus area. You will be cited if you have a moped, scooter, or motorcycle in White Plaza, the Quad, or any sidewalk, landscaped area, or bike rack.
- Stanford Deputy Sheriffs enforce all laws of the California Vehicle Code on campus.
- Drivers of motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds must be licensed drivers, have an endorsement to operate a motorcycle, and operate these vehicles while wearing helmets. These vehicles must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Drivers of motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds can obtain a parking permit at Parking and Transportation Services.
- Skateboarding is not permitted in most areas on campus (Santa Clara County Ordinance B5-30).
In-line and Roller Skates
- The use of in-line and roller skates on campus is restricted by Santa Clara County Ordinances B5-33 and B5-34.
- No person shall use in-line or roller skates on or within any building, courtyard, parking garage, entryway, tennis court, construction site, or stairway, railing, wall, fountain, bench or any other outdoor structure or furnishing not intended for travel.
- No person shall use in-line or roller skates to perform any tricks or stunts which may cause injury or property damage, travel at a speed greater than reasonable and prudent, impede or interfere with the flow of vehicular traffic, fail to yield to all pedestrians on sidewalks or roadways, fail to obey all traffic control devices, or hitch rides on a vehicle.
The Criminal Justice System Letter and Package Bomb Indicators
Please call (650) 723-9633 if you have further questions regarding safety and security or crime stats at Stanford University. Thank you.