| OVERHEADS | GLOSSARY | REFERENCES | SKILLS | CLASSIC |
This is a list of labs extending the sea urchin experience over a longer more
rigorous time frame. If you have trouble getting and keeping sea urchins, you
are probably better off just doing the CORE LAB and maybe
the SPERM EXPERIMENTS lab.
- GAMETES - Looks at the gametes of the sea
urchin and relates them to our own gametes in terms of size and characteristics.
Detailed instructions on spawning animals, collecting and storing gametes
for future work. Includes sources for sea urchins.
- FERTILIZATION - Sea urchin sperm are added
to sea urchin eggs and the early steps of development are observed and discussed.
- DEVELOPMENT - Latter stages of development
are observed, from 2 cell to pluteus.
- EXPERIMENTS - Environmental effects of temperature,
light, pH, oxygen and toxins are looked at in relation to fertilization and
development of the sea urchin.
- SPERM EXPERIMENTS - Sea urchin sperm keep
very easily in a refrigerator. This allows students to do multiple experiments
over several days.
- PUSH LAB - is a set of guided experiments,
based on the above ideas. [greater details and directions presented]. Because
these labs are "cookbooked", they do not promote inquiry or critical thinking
as much as the two experiments sections above.