Earn money for wellness activities on- and off-campus
Berries are health-related activities that put your wellness goals into action. Benefits-eligible university employees can earn a $100 (taxable) incentive by completing six Berries between January 2 and November 30, 2017.
This year we have removed category requirements, offering you more flexibility to earn Berries relevant to your wellness journey. We have also added some of our most popular workshops as videos.
Please note that SHALA is a prerequisite to completing your Berries and you cannot receive both the $100 Berry incentive and $100 Healthy Work Environment incentive in the same program year. Spouses/partners are not eligible for Berries.
Examples of off-campus activities include:
- Fitness, nutrition and other wellness classes at gyms, community centers and other non-Stanford organizations
- Volunteering in your community
- Working out with a personal trainer at a non-Stanford fitness facility
- Tracking your physical activity and/or nutrition with an app or fitness device
- Running in an organized race event
- Attending Weight Watchers or a similar wellness support group
- Annual well-visit with your healthcare provider
To get Berry credit for these activities, sign into your account and download a validation form located under “Berries,” and then have it signed by the outside organization. You may use the validation form for up to two off-campus Berries. To get credit for apps and fitness devices, submit the recorded data or a screenshot with your validation form. To get credit for running in a race, submit your time/results with your validation form.
On-campus Berry opportunities can be found by visiting our Berry calendar and through your BeWell account. Examples of on-campus opportunities include:
- Fitness assessment – A free, annual 30-minute assessment. Take it every year to monitor your progress.
- Personal training – Get two Berries for two free, annual 60-minute sessions with a Stanford certified personal trainer.
- Fitness classes – Earn Berries for each reduced rate ($30) Health Improvement Program (HIP) fitness class you take and reduced rate ($60) Stanford Recreation Group Fitness Pass you purchase during the program year.
- BeWell Walkers – A free, online 10-week walking program with tracking log and walking maps designed to gradually increase your physical activity level.
- BeWell workshops – Attend free, lunchtime workshops on nutrition, stress management, sleep and other wellness topics, or watch recordings of select workshops through your BeWell account. You can earn Berries for each workshop you attend or watch.
- Healthy Living classes – HIP offers fee-based, in-depth classes on nutrition, stress management, weight management, mindfulness and other wellness topics.
- Workshops and classes offered by our campus partners – These workshops and classes may either be free or fee-based, and some may require a validation form. Topics include relationship-building, emotional intelligence, elder/child caregiving, workspace well-being and emergency preparedness. Eligible workshops and classes are offered by the Help Center, WorkLife, Environmental Health and Safety, Sustainable Stanford, and Continuing Studies.
Ready to get started?
What is the Berry incentive?
All university employees, regardless of benefit elections, who complete the SHALA and six Berries between January 2, 2017 and November 30, 2017 will receive a $100 (taxable) wellness incentive.
Please note: if an employee has already earned a $100 incentive for completing Healthy Work Environment, they will no longer qualify for an additional $100 by completing Berries.
What’s new in 2017?:
(1) There is no longer a limit on the number of Berries you can get from a single category nor a requirement to complete Berries in three or more categories. Want to attend six healthy eating workshops? Or take six fitness classes? You’ll get Berry credit for all of them and be eligible for the $100 incentive.
(2) We are also now offering two Berries for your two free, annual personal training sessions.
(3) Finally, if you can’t make our in-person workshops, you can receive Berry credit by watching recorded versions of select workshops available through your BeWell account.
Is the Berry incentive separate from other incentives in the Program?
Yes. Employees who complete six Berries before the November 30, 2017 deadline earn the $100 (taxable) incentive whether or not they participate in the Wellness Profile. However, if an employee has already earned a $100 incentive for completing Healthy Work Environment, they will no longer qualify for an additional $100 by completing Berries.
When do I receive payment for completing my Berries?
This incentive will be processed following the completion of your sixth Berry and will be included in a regular paycheck labeled “Berries” under earnings within two pay periods.
Can spouses and domestic partners do Berries?
Spouses and registered domestic partners are not eligible for Berries.
How can I track my Berries?
Track your Berries by logging into your BeWell account. “In progress” Berries are yellow and “complete” Berries are red. Berries that are red with a white checkmark are being applied to your $100 incentive. Please see legend below.
Not Started In Progress Complete Incentive
Is there a limit to the number of Berries I can do?
Will I receive an additional incentive if I complete more than six Berries?
How many validation forms can I use?
You may use one or a maximum of two validation forms to receive credit for off-campus Berries. For on-campus Berries, you may use up to a maximum six validation forms.
What is the best way to find a Berry?
Berries have been divided into on- and off-campus categories. Start by finding the category that most interests you and then review your options. Alternatively, you can check our Berry calendar for a complete list of all one-time classes and workshops being offered by BeWell and our campus partners. Lastly, we encourage you to use validation forms for all off-campus services you are currently utilizing to fulfill your Berry requirements.
Can I still participate in Berries for an incentive if I am not on a Stanford-sponsored medical plan or not sharing my data?
Yes. Berries are available to all benefits-eligible Stanford employees, regardless of their benefits elections or data sharing status. Please visit our Incentive Calculator for further clarification.