Frequently Asked Questions - For students
Content items especially relevant to students.
- Why can't I find my course sites?
If you can't find your course site(s), here are the most common reasons. Please keep these in mind before submitting a HelpSU ticket.
- Not every course at Stanford has a CourseWork site, since the use of CourseWork is optional and at the discretion of the instructor. Please ask your instructor if CourseWork will be used for your course.
- There is a delay of at least a few hours between the time you register for a class in Axess and the time you are added to a CourseWork site. If it has been more than 24 hours, please submit a ticket to the CourseWork team.
- If you are a member of more than 4 sites, additional sites may be found by clicking the My Active Sites tab at the top right of the screen.
- If an instructor has said you can join a CourseWork site without signing up for the class in Axess, please use the following instructions for joining a site.
- When I enroll in a course in Axess, will I be automatically added to a CourseWork site?
Assuming the instructor for the course has chosen to create a CourseWork site, you will automatically be added to the site if you have enrolled in the course through Axess. If you just registered, please allow up to 24 hours for the information to be reflected in CourseWork. If you do not see a site for your course after 24 hours, verify with the instructor that CourseWork will be used for the course before submitting a HelpSU ticket to the CourseWork team.
- If I drop a course in Axess, will I automatically be dropped from that CourseWork site?
If you were originally added to the CourseWork site through Axess registration (i.e., you did not add yourself to the site through CourseWork's Membership tool), you will be removed automatically when you drop the course in Axess. Please allow up to 24 hours for changes made in Axess to be reflected in CourseWork.
- How can I join a site without having to sign up for the course through Axess?
Some CourseWork sites are open to anyone in the Stanford community with a valid SUNet ID. If you can not find the course site you are seeking in the list of joinable sites, either the site is not set up to allow students to add themselves or the instructor has not created a CourseWork site.To join a site:
- Go to My Workspace and click Membership in the left navigation bar.
- Click the Joinable Sites link at the top of the Membership page.
To find the site you want to join, either browse the list of joinable sites using the navigation buttons on the right side of the page or use the search box.
PLEASE NOTE: The search string must match the site title. If you want to join W08-PWR-2-29, then searching for "W08-PWR", "PRW-2", "PWR-2-29" would work (or use the whole site title). However, "PWR 2" would not work because there is no space in the site title.
- Click the Join link under the name of the desired course site.
- The course site will now appear as a tab in the site navigation bar (or will be listed under the My Active Sites tab if you already have quite a few course sites).
- You can also click on My Current Sites at the top of the Membership page to confirm that the course site is now in your list.
- How do I view a syllabus without having to sign up for the course through Axess?
Instructors with CourseWork sites have the option to make their syllabi publicly available. There are two ways to search for syllabi.
- To find out whether a site has public content, go to http://coursework.stanford.edu and click on Search Sites in the left navigation of the gateway page (BEFORE logging in). Search for the course site, then click on the course site’s title. You should see a brief description of the course as well as any content that is publicly available.
- You can also search for syllabi at http://syllabus.stanford.edu.
- My course has sections. How do I sign up for one?
Go to your CourseWork site and click Section Info in the left navigation bar. You should see sections listed here with descriptive information, such as meeting times, days, and locations. Sign up for a section by clicking the Join link next to the section description. The Join link will be replaced by the Member label to indicate you have successfully joined the section.
If you do not see Join links next to section descriptions or do not see the Section Info tool in your site, please ask your instructor about how section sign-ups will be handled.
- How can I switch sections?
Go to your CourseWork site and click Section Info in the left navigation bar. You should see sections listed here with descriptive information, such as meeting times, days, and locations. The Member label will display next to the section to which you currently belong. Click the Switch link next to your preferred section to switch your membership. You may only belong to one section of each type available (e.g., 1 Lecture, 1 Discussion, 1 Lab). By choosing Switch you will be removed from your current section of that type.
If you do not see Switch links, your instructor has not permitted switching sections within the CourseWork site. You will need to ask the instructor about signing up for a different section.
- How can I download multiple materials at a time?
CourseWork v5 utilizes a web protocol called WebDav to allow you to access your site’s Materials tool as a local folder from which you can drag and drop files.
1. Get the WebDav URL for your CourseWork site:
* Login to http://coursework.stanford.edu
* Go to your site
* Click the Materials tool on the left
* Click the "Upload-Download Multiple Materials" link at the top
* Copy the SiteID for your site
* Materials’ URL syntax: https://coursework.stanford.edu/dav/SiteID
2. Make a WebDAV connection to your site’s Materials tool, following the instructions under Upload-Download Multiple Materials.
3. Drag and drop files from the Materials folder to your local desktop.