REQUIREMENTS FOR CURRENT STANFORD SCIENTIFIC DIVERS
is the responsibility of the scientific diver to maintain active status
by meeting requirements and filing paperwork in a timely fashion, whether or not reciprocity is needed. Divers
who are withdrawn from active status for any reason may not dive under
the auspices of Stanford University. Petition for reinstatement may be made to the Diving Control
Board, providing all requirements are met.
active scientific diver status:
a scientific diving plan for any Stanford scientific diving
activity. A dive plan must be turned in to the DSO before requesting reciprocity to dive with another institution.
- ***NEW 3/2015 *** Starting in March 2015 we will be using the WebDiver system for creating, submitting, reviewing and approving dive plans.
- Make sure all paperwork is up-to-date before requesting reciprocity. Last-minute requests might not be accommodated.
- Keep your First
aid, CPR, and oxygen provider training current as per the
- Scientific divers must log a minimum of 12 research dives per year, with at least one dive in a six-month period. In addition, maintaining depth certifications beyond 60’ requires at least one dive in a six-month period to a depth near that certification level. Please see the DSO if you need to get more dives in; proficiency dives can usually be arranged. However, do not leave this until the last minute if you are requesting reciprocity.
- Dive logs must be submitted at the end of each month.
- Renew diving physical every 5 years
(if under 40 years old); every 3 years (40 and over).
- Have your regulator (including alternate air sources)
& BC overhauled and cylinders visually inspected at least annually and submit a copy of the receipts to the DSO.
- All Stanford scientific divers seeking reciprocity to dive with another AAUS diving program or diving overseas are required to hold current Divers Alert Network (DAN) dive accident insurance. Submit proof of insurance to the DSO.
- Please report any diving injury or incident to the DSO as soon as possible.
Injury/Incident Report form pdf
diver status is terminated with the diver's departure from Stanford. The
diver may request that copies of records be sent to another diving program
for consideration by the new DSO.
For further information, please see the Stanford Diving Safety Manual and the 2009 AAUS Standards for Scientific Diving. When in doubt, check with the DSO.
[back to Diving home]