From Designing Education Lab
Lab Meeting Time and Topics
Summer Quarter 2016
- DEL Meeting on Thursdays, 2:00p - 4:00p (Pacific)
- Building 550, Room 126 (except July 14 and August 18, when DEL will be in Building 560 - second floor)
- Blue Jeans meeting connection: https://bluejeans.com/967912620 To join via phone: 1) Dial:+1.408.740.7256 or +1.888.240.2560 2) Enter Conference ID: 967912620
|July 7||Welcome!||August 11||Max-EMS goes to Germany|Mario - Closeness and Motivation|
|July 14||Katie & Sophia - Updates on Data Diving||August 18||Beth - Meditation Intervention Results (SURI Update - K&S)|
|July 21||Lisa - Prototyping as a Thinking Tool||August 25||Kate - Visual Design and Prototyping (CAD for Dummies)|
|July 28||Emanuel/SageFox||September 1||Mark - EMS 1.0 Update|
|August 4||Autumn (SURI Update: A&C)||September 8||Sheri reports live from Burning Man|
| || || || |
Fall Quarter 2016
DEL Meetings on Mondays, 1:00pm - 3:00pm (Pacific), starting on September 26
Building 550, Room 126 (except October 3, 17, and December 12, when DEL will be in Building 560 - first floor)
Blue Jeans meeting connection: https://bluejeans.com/967912620 To join via phone: 1) Dial:+1.408.740.7256 or +1.888.240.2560 2) Enter Conference ID: 967912620
ME Summer Undergraduate Research Institute (SURI) - 2016
The DEL SURI's had a productive (and fun!) summer. Posters explaining their summer research work were presented on Friday, August 26, 2016 at the Huang Engineering Center. The research projects included:
Katie, Chloe, Sophia and Amber were assisted by Beth Rieken, Helen Chen, Shannon Gilmartin, and Sheri Sheppard.
Goodbye, Mario - Kasierscharrn Feast
Mario Roser will be returning to Germany, finishing up a successful stay at Stanford. As part of the tradition, Mario treated the entire Lab to one of his hometown, special dishes ... and set a new high mark for culinary talents. We all sampled Kaiserschmarrn, a pancake-like mixture with raisins, topped with a bit of powdered sugar and a sprig of fresh mint. To complete the experience, we washed it down with a pomegranate San Pellegrino and he sent us on our way with a wrapped Giradelli chocolate.
We wish Mario the best as he returns to Germany and we know that we will be hearing from him again in the future!
Mario shared is Kaiserschmarnn recipe with the DEL community, which he says came directly from Oma Roser.
Helena Scutt goes for Gold at Rio
DEL's own Helena Scutt is a member of the U.S. Olympic Sailing team and will be competing in Rio this summer. Helena will be competing with her racing partner, Paris Henken, on a new class of boat - the 49erFX - which is screaming fast, tough to sail and very fun to watch! You can read about their adventures on their website and watch them compete on Friday, August 12.
Go Helena and Paris!
DEL @ ASEE June 2016
- Infusing Innovation and Entrepreneurship into Engineering Education: Looking for Change as Seen by ASEE Members, 2012 to 2015 Peterfreund, A. R., Costache, E., Chen, H. L., Gilmartin, S. K., Sheppard, S. D. pdf
- Improving Students’ Learning in Statics Skills: Using Homework and Exam Wrappers to Strengthen Self-regulated Learning Chew, K. J., Chen H. L., Rieken E. M., Turpin A., Sheppard S. D. pdf presentation
- What Do You Want to Do with Your Life? Insights into how Engineering Students Think about their Future Career Plans Grau, M. M., Gilmartin, S. K., Rieken E. M., Sheppard S. D. pdf presentation
- Helping Engineering Students Get Jobs: Views from Career Services Professionals Carrico, C., Harris A. R., Matusovich H. M., Brunhaver, S. R., Streveler R. A., Sheppard S. D. pdf
- Connecting for Success: The Impact of Student-to-Other Closeness on Performance in Large-Scale Engineering Classes Schar M. F., Harris A. R., Witt R. J., Rice, R., Sheppard S. D. pdf presentation
- Understanding Engineering Students’ Professional Pathways: A Longitudinal Mixed-Methods Study Brunhaver, S. R., Matusovich H. M., Streveler R. A., Sheppard S. D., Harris A. R. pdf
- Business Program Participation and Engineering Innovation: An Exploration of Engineering Students’ Minors, Certiﬁcates,and Concentrations Cao E., Gilmartin, S. K., Jin Q., Dungs C. C., Sheppard S. D. pdf presentation
- Don’t Make Me Automate! Students Find Themes of Trust and Discovery Examining Drivers’ Experiences with Existing Automation Karanian, B. A., Sibi S., Ikeler M. T., Hagestad L., Ju, W. G. pdf
- Conversational Storytelling: Classroom Teaching through Story Parallels Entrepreneurial Need for Engagement Karanian, B. A., Eskandari M., Taajamaa V. pdf
- From Freshman Engineering Students to Practicing Professionals: Changes in Beliefs about Important Skills over Time Winters K. E., Matusovich H. M., Brunhaver, S. R., Chen H. L., Yasuhara K., Sheppard S. D. pdf
- Asking the Right Questions in Community College Pathways Research Parikh S. E., Silverman L. pdf
Stanford Mechanical Engineering Conference - May 6, 2016
Left: KJ Chew Top Middle: Liza Kayer, Angela Harris, KJ Chew
Top Right: Autumn Turpin Bottom Center: Beth Rieken Bottom Right: Emily Cao
- Trait Mindfulness in an Engineering Classroom by Beth Rieken, Mark Schar and Sheri Sheppard
- An Exploration of Engineering Student’s Minors, Certificates, and Concentrations by Emily Cao, Shannon Gilmartin and Sheri Sheppard Awarded Best Undergraduate Poster
Intentional Engineers: Reflection and Mindfulness in Engineering Classrooms - April 7, 2016CPREE) is to prepare U.S. engineering graduates for the contemporary challenges of the profession. CPREE recently held a workshop at Stanford University led by Beth Rieken, KJ Chew, Helen Chen of DEL and Cindy Atman and Lauren Thomas of the University of Washington.
The purpose of the workshop was discuss how contemplative practices, such as reflection and mindfulness, can enrich analytic learning in engineering courses. The material covered simple techniques to introduce reflection and mindfulness into the classroom. The workshop was attended by 20 participants from Stanford and surrounding institutions and was generally considered a great success.