Project Dosti provides participants with an opportunity to learn more about India, create connections with local communities, and work with some of India’s foremost social leaders. Dosti volunteers are students from Stanford University working towards fulfilling a recognized need in a particular community. In the field, volunteers participate in a variety of projects which attempt to match individual strengths to specific facets of the proposed project.
Project Dosti ultimately seeks to equip participants with a new understanding of a foreign environment in order to change attitudes and actions at home. As participants in Project Dosti, volunteers play an active role in the implementation and design of the project. They will be in unfamiliar circumstances and will develop personal skills to meet challenges.
In short, Project Dosti provides students with the opportunity to:
- engage in meaningful and sustainable service
- gain a better understanding of a specific region of India
- promote the sharing of cultures and ideas
- encourage personal learning and growth in a foreign environment
Past Projects have included:
- social, health, and economic surveys
- designing interactive educational curricula for urban and rural youth
- raising funds and providing supplies for local projects
This year’s trips will send participants to volunteer for a minimum of 6 weeks with one of two selected non-governmental organizations in India: AGN School in Tamil Nadu and Vijay Foundation Trust (VFT) in Andhra Pradesh. After volunteers have returned from their trips, they will be responsible for planning an awareness event concerning the issues they worked on organizing the next year’s trip.
- During Winter Quarter, we host informational meetings and coffee chats. The application deadline is in February. Accepted and Waitlisted students are notified by March.
- During Spring Quarter, participants attend orientation and preparation events. We work with you to secure your visa.
- Summer Quarter – off to India!
- Participants are required to support Dosti recruitment events the following Fall Quarter.