Co-directed by faculty members Irv Grousbeck, Charles Holloway, and Peter Reiss, the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies was established in 1996 to address the need for greater understanding of the issues faced by entrepreneurial individuals and companies.
The CES serves to focus the different entrepreneurial efforts at the GSB, including those of faculty, students, alumni, and the community.
The mission of the CES is to build an understanding of the issues facing entrepreneurial companies and individuals by:
- Promoting research topics relevant to entrepreneurs;
- Enhancing and expanding the entrepreneurship curriculum;
- Engaging with the entrepreneurial community to provide
access and resources to our students and alumni; and
- Fostering a lifelong community of GSB entrepreneurs across class years.
We prepare students with the necessary education and experiences using top faculty, original research on entrepreneurship,
CES-developed case studies on entrepreneurial issues, and community involvement with leaders of the entrepreneur and venture capital population in Silicon Valley and beyond.
- Develop and support 27 entrepreneurial courses. Courses
include Evaluating Entrepreneurial
Opportunities, in which teams of 4-5
students spend 2 quarters evaluating a
business opportunity; Formation of New Ventures; Managing Growing Enterprises;
Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital and
Building and Managing Professional Sales
- Develop over 30 entrepreneurial cases each year.
- Organize and host speaker and panel series each year.
- Provide continuity and institutional memory for the Entrepreneur Club, the Venture Capital Club,
and the annual Entrepreneurship Conference.
- Advise students and alumni pursuing entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Through the
Entrepreneurial Summer Program, support MBA
students in gaining experience working for
early-stage companies by funding students
with supplemental salaries. The program also
includes several events for students to
share their expectations and experiences
with faculty and fellow students.
- Development and support of resources and alumni communities to
connect GSB students and alumni with fellow entrepreneurs, investors, service providers, and mentors.
- Sponsor and
host Alumni Founders Forums for
entrepreneurial alumni to support one
another in a confidential monthly gathering.
- Sponsor and host the annual GSB Alumni Entrepreneur Reunion.