Reimbursement / Expense Reporting Policies
Policy Guidance Important to Faculty:
- Expense reports and reimbursement requests should be submitted within 10 days of incurring the expense or completing travel.
- If reports / requests are not made within 60 days, the amount paid for expenses will be tax-reportable as income to the individual per IRS guidelines.
- The University's policy is to reimburse necessary and reasonable expenses incurred for authorized University business.
- Prices paid are to be economical; when the price paid by the individual is more than what is deemed economical (more than what the University would pay), the lesser amount will be reimbursed.
- Memo from the Provost Re: Business Meal Expense Guidance (October 2007)
- Business Meal Expense Guidance
Specific Policy on All Types of Reimbursable Expenses:
- Policy Notes: Business Expense Policy
- Overview: Permissible Business Expenses
- Overview: Paying for Business Expenses Not Requiring a Purchase Order
For complete information on reimbursement / expense reporting at Stanford, including overviews, how-to instructions, policy, resources, forms, and related training, see:
- Reimbursement / Expense Reporting in the Staff section of this web site.