Authorizing Travel for Others
When you authorize travel for students or post doctoral students to attend, speak or present at a conference or meeting, or visit a field site or off-campus laboratory, certain documentation is required when requesting reimbursement for expenses incurred. Reimbursement payments will be tax-reportable UNLESS one of the following two documents is included with the reimbursement request:
- A signed statement from a faculty member certifying that the travel / activity either
- directly supports a faculty project, research or scholarship program,
- is to officially represent Stanford University,
- is an integral part of the student's degree work or is directly related to the student's employment at the University,
- is official University business
- A photocopy of the conference program indicating traveler is a speaker or presenter
~ OR ~
See also the Policy Notes: Required Documentation for Travel Expense Reimbursement page in the Staff section (Primary Policy Source: Administrative Guide Policy 5.4.2 Section 11).
For complete information on Travel at Stanford, including overviews, quick steps, policy, resources and job aids, forms, and related training, see:
- Travel in the Staff section of this web site.