How To: Create and Upload Feeder Journals (for Feeder Originators)
Before You Start
Feeder Originators use the iJournals module to upload their feeder journal by using the iJournals Upload Template for validation and completion.
In order to be an eligible feeder owner, you must have completed and sent to the Systems and Reporting Operations distribution list the following:
- Filled out the Annual Attestation of Feeder Responsibilities
- Received approval from Central office after submitting the iJournals Responsibility Request form requesting iJournals Feeder Owner
A feeder should only be uploaded when a file contains:
- More than 1500 transaction lines
- Salary that is not included in Labor Distribution
- Other confidential data
Uploads allow creation of the header and detail lines sections of the feeder entry in Excel.
- As of March 21, 2015, Feeder Originators see a "Submit" button instead of the "Approve" button. With the new process, when a feeder is uploaded and submitted for approval, the feeder must be approved by the Business Process Owner or any of the other assigned Feeder Owner(s) other than the Originator.
- All feeders must be uploaded, validated, and approved by 6:30 PM in order to meet the nightly Month-End Close processing deadlines.
To approve Feeder Journals, please see How To: Approve Feeder Journals.
Step 9 – Review Feeder Status
The Status value in the Feeders Requiring Action section reflects one of the following:
- Processing – System is validating feeder lines
- Validated – Feeder has been validated and queued for submittal
- Invalid – Invalid feeder lines must be forced using the Force PTA option or feeder file must be purged and resubmitted
Feeders with a Status of Validated or Invalid contain a live link. Clicking the link will allow you to take action on the selected feeder. If you wish to take action on multiple feeders, refine your Status search to Validated or Invalid. See How To: Search Feeder Journals.
Note: As of March 23, 2015, the Feeder Originator cannot approve and post his/her own feeder. The "Submit" button is available to the originator uploading the feeder and it will be routed for approval to the Business Process Owner and Feeder Owner(s) designated to approve the journal.
The daily upload, validate and approval deadline for same night posting is 6:30pm.
Examples why a user may consider (or need to) purge a VALID feeder:
- Format issues with the file
- Data issues with the file
- "Force" button is not available for the Feeder ID
Examples why a user may consider (or need to) purge an INVALID feeder:
- The GL Period used in the uploaded feeder is no longer open, thus, the only option at this point is to purge the feeder and re-upload with the current open GL Period
- Feeder was erroneously uploaded multiple times
- User notices information that should not be included in the file
The Force button is available and enabled for a Feeder ID that has been setup with an alternate PTA.
Feeder was rejected by the approver.
- See How To: Approve Feeder Journals.
- Upon approval, the feeder journal is posted in Grants Accounting and queued for nightly posting to the General Ledger.
- Feeder journal originators are responsible for monitoring their posted journals.
- Feeder journals must be approved by the cut-off date each month to be included in the month's activities. See Overview: Month-End Close and refer to Month-End Close Deadlines.
- For additional help, submit a HelpSU ticket. Select Request Category Administrative Applications and Request Type Oracle Financials.
- For additional training, take FIN-0210: Introduction to iJournals.