How To: Review and Approve Journal Entries
Before You Start
Be prepared to determine if:
- The expenditure is reasonable, necessary and compliant with all University policies,
- The charges are correct, allowable for the account, allocable, and properly coded,
- Charges are appropriately documented and are recorded in a consistent manner, and
- Funds are available in the account being charged.
Approvers do not have the option of modifying the journal. If an approver finds anything wrong with a journal, they must reject the journal in order to return it to the originator for modification and re-routing.
- After the final approval, the iJournals system validates the journal a final time to ensure nothing has changed (e.g., PTA segment closed) since the transaction was submitted.
- If the journal is valid, it will post to the General Ledger. If it is not valid, the system rejects the journal and sends a notice to the originator, with copies to Approvers and/or FYI recipients. The originator must update the journal and resubmit.