How To: Mail an Invoice to Accounts Payable
Important Note: Suppliers should mail invoices directly to Accounts Payable (suppliers should see Supplier Instructions for Submitting Invoices). Uploading invoices should be the exception process. Read Overview: Purchase Order Invoice Processing.
Before You Start
If you receive electronic copy of an invoice, please follow instructions for Uploading an Invoice. In the event you receive a paper invoice, ensure invoice meets the following criteria before mailing it to Accounts Payable:
- The document must be an invoice, NOT a quote, order acknowledgement, sales receipt, or packing list.
- The invoice must bill Stanford University.
- The invoice must include a "Remit to" address.
- There must be an approved Stanford Purchase Order Number referenced on the invoice.
Note: For invoices of $5,000 or more, departments must indicate approval or they will be placed on hold by AP and the requisition originator will receive an email notification requesting department approval.
Step 2 – Mail the Invoice to Accounts Payable
- If invoice meets specified criteria, Accounts Payable will process the invoice and schedule payment per the terms specified on the purchase order (e.g. Net 30 days from date of invoice). Visit Payment Handling Methods and Processing Times page for more information.
- If the invoice does not meet specified criteria, Requisition Originators will receive an email alert notifying them of an invoice hold, the reason and required action.