ARCHIVED Bulletin: Avoid Returned Invoices. Follow Procedures for Submitting Orders and Invoices (Posted February 7, 2008)
Accounts Payable (AP) is receiving invoices prior to the purchase requisition being approved and the purchase order being processed. This is a problem with both Rapid Purchase Order (RPO) requisitions (order amounts less than $2,500) and Standard Purchase Order (STD) requisitions (order amounts greater than $2,500).
AP is unable to process a payment against an invoice that does not reference an approved 8-digit purchase order number. Therefore, invoices received in AP before the RPO or Standard purchase order has been fully approved will be returned, via fax, to the supplier or to the originator (if the supplier fax number is not available). In these cases, the invoice will need to be resubmitted by the originator or the supplier when there is a valid approved purchase order.
- For Rapid Purchase Order (RPO) Requisitions:
- Please do not place Rapid Purchase Orders with the supplier until you have received the approved 8-digit purchase order number. RPO requisitions that have not been approved have a 7-digit requisition number. To minimize order placement errors, fax the official RPO copy to the supplier. This includes the 8-digit purchase order number and invoicing instructions.
- Ensure that the 8-digit RPO purchase order number is included on the invoice before it is faxed to Accounts Payable (FAX 725-1399).
- For Standard Purchase Order (STD) Requisitions:
- Please do not place the order with the supplier. After the requisition is approved, a Buyer in the Purchasing and Contracts Department will process the Purchase Order and place the order with the supplier.
- It is recommended that the supplier sends the invoice directly to AP. If you receive the invoice, ensure that the approved 8-digit purchase order number is included on the invoice before it is faxed to Accounts Payable (FAX 725-1399).
Questions? Need Help?
- Use the Requisition and Purchase Order Query (a.k.a. Web Inquiry) to verify the approval status of your RPO or standard purchase requisition and obtain the approved 8-digit purchase order number. This Query tool is available on the Oracle iProcurement home page (under Purchasing News) and in the SU Inquiry Tools and Forms folder on the main Oracle Home page.
- To ensure that your invoice includes all required information for payment processing, reference How To: Upload an Invoice and How To: Mail an Invoice to Accounts Payable.
- For additional help, please contact the Financial Support Center (3-2772).