ARCHIVED Bulletin: Winter Closure Payroll Reminders (Posted December 11, 2007)
Payroll Administrators, please take a moment to review the following winter closure deadlines and procedures to ensure that we have a smooth year-end. The 12/15 pay period is the last pay period for the calendar and tax year 2007. Because the last day the campus is officially open is 12/21, payroll deadlines are accelerated.
On this page:
- Kronos Time Reporting and Payroll Deadlines
- Leave Borrowing in Kronos for Winter Closure
- Payroll Corrections and Overpayments
- Processing Terminations
- Processing Year-End Bonuses
- Critical Pay Issues During Winter Closure
Kronos Time Reporting and Payroll Deadlines
Administrators should complete Kronos and PeopleSoft entries on, or before, the last working day for your area.
To reduce the number of checks to distribute in your department, encourage employees to enroll in direct deposit. Direct deposit enrollment instructions were attached to all live paychecks for the 11/30 pay period. Direct deposit enrollments, both online in Axess or on paper forms submitted to Payroll, will be accepted through 12/15.
|Day / Date||Activity|
|Day / Date||Activity|
For other deadlines, visit Resources & Job Aids: Payroll Schedules and Deadlines.
- Please ask employees to verify pay as soon as possible.
- Please ensure that a staff member is available to accept delivery of the paychecks and to distribute them to employees.
Leave Borrowing in Kronos for Winter Closure
Kronos has been temporarily modified to allow employees (excluding bargaining unit employees) to borrow their December 2007 Vacation accrual, 2008 Floating Holiday and 2008 PTO. Bargaining unit employees are not covered by the University Administrative Guide. At this time, they are not allowed to borrow against PTO or Floating Holiday for Winter Closure. Kronos will not allow Bargaining Unit employees to overdraft these accruals.
On January 3rd the modification to allow leave borrowing will be removed. The Kronos team will deduct any remaining negative accrual balances by reducing the employee's other available leave balances. The Kronos team will be in contact with department Human Resource Managers regarding misuse of leave, if necessary.
Leave Borrowing Guidelines
- Borrowing is allowed only for the pay period ending 12/31/2007 due to the Winter Closure.
- Employees should not borrow hours for the pay period ending 12/15/2007.
- Please verify that your employees do not borrow in excess of their expected accruals. As it is not possible to program individual borrowing rules for each employee, the following limits have been set in Kronos:
- Vacation – 16 hours
- PTO – 24 hours
- Floating Holiday – 8 hours
- Employees accruing less than 16 hours of vacation a month may only borrow up to their normal accrual amount.
- Part-time employees may only borrow up to their expected PTO and Floating Holiday grants for 2008.
- Employees must have exhausted all available Vacation hours before borrowing from their 2008 Floating Holiday or PTO.
To check for employees who have over-borrowed, use the new Accruals Genie. Set the "Time Period" option to "Specific Date", and choose 1/1/2008. Employees with a negative balance have over-borrowed and must be adjusted. Single clicking or double-clicking on the column headers re-sorts the columns in ascending or descending balance order.
Payroll Corrections and Overpayments
Please remind supervisors to be especially diligent in approving pay entries for the 12/15 pay period to minimize department administrative burden in coordinating pay corrections.
- The Gross Pay Report will be available on Tuesday 12/18.
- Please verify pay as soon as possible and ensure staffing for making any necessary corrections.
- Payroll will be open through the close of business on 12/21 to process requests for missing pay and to correct overpayments. All requests must have appropriate departmental approvals.
- For assistance, please submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll.
Note: If an employee notifies Payroll that s/he is missing pay, we cannot cut a check until we receive the appropriate approvals from the employee's department. Please consider how you will handle employee pay issues through close of business on 12/21.
2007 W-2 Payroll Corrections and Overpayments
As the 12/15 pay period is the last for tax year 2007, outstanding overpayments must be resolved prior to winter closure to be reflected on the employee's 2007 W-2.
Payroll has sent reminder email messages to departments with outstanding employee overpayments. If you received a reminder, please follow up as quickly as possible. If a new overpayment is identified, please notify Payroll immediately so we can work with you and the employee to resolve the overpayment prior to year-end.
Return uncashed paychecks, representing wages not due to the employee, to Payroll for cancellation. This step is necessary to remove the wages from the employee's W-2 and to credit the PTA(s) charged for the payment.
For assistance with overpayments or uncashed checks, please submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll.
Please submit Termination Web forms by the following deadlines to allow Payroll time to stop the employee's regular paycheck and include all pay due on the termination check.
- Friday 12/14 – Deadline to submit for employees who will be terminating from 12/17 through payday, 12/20.
- Wednesday 12/19 – Deadlines to submit for employees who will be terminating 12/21 through the end of the winter closure, 1/2/08.
Termination checks must be picked up from Payroll by 5pm on Friday 12/21. After this time the Payroll building will be locked and not accessible to customers until after the winter closure.
Processing Year-End Bonuses
The 12/15 pay period is the last pay period for tax year 2007. Any bonuses to be included on the employee's 2007 W-2 must be submitted by bringing a paper form to Payroll by Noon on 12/14 or by loading a Supplemental Pay Webform by 9PM on 12/16.
As always, we encourage departments to request bonus payments on the regular pay cycle to allow for direct deposit of the payment.
Critical Pay Issues During Winter Closure
Critical pay issues, meaning those where Stanford would be non-compliant if a payment is not issued prior to 1/3/08, should be directed to Payroll by leaving a voicemail at 723-9248. An example of a critical issue would be an involuntary termination of an employee scheduled to work during the winter closure. Voicemail will be monitored on 12/26-28, 12/31 and 1/2/08. Critical calls will be returned within 24 hours. All pay requests must have appropriate departmental approvals.
For all other issues please submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll. Your ticket will be addressed as quickly as possible after the closure.