ARCHIVED Bulletin: Time Reporting and Payroll During Winter Closure (Posted December 1, 2008)
On this page:
Time & Leave Reporting and Approval Deadlines
Kronos entries for the first pay period in December (December 1 - 15) should be approved by NOON on Tuesday, December 16, 2008. Supervisors should be especially careful when approving Kronos entries for the December 15th pay period in order to minimize any pay corrections.
Kronos leave records for the December 16 - 31 period should be completed by the end of the business day on Friday, December 19, prior to Winter Close. The approval deadline is 9:00 pm on Saturday, January 3, 2009.
Reporting Time in Kronos
Designated Stanford holidays are December 24, 25, and January 1. Employees will also receive one additional day off with pay during the winter closure.
You may use the following options for covering the remaining closures dates:
- Floating Holiday for 2008
- Available Personal Time Off (PTO) for 2008
- Accrued Vacation Time
- Time off borrowed from December 2008 vacation accrual, which is credited on 12/31 (up to one month's accrual is permitted)
- Time off borrowed from 2009 PTO accrual (up to 24 hours for full time employee)
- Time off borrowed from 2009 Floating Holiday accrual (up to 8 hours)
Please be advised that you must be on paid status the day before and the day after the holiday in order to receive holiday pay. Also, the use of sick time is not allowed during this period.
Time off should be tracked in Kronos as follows:
Holidays (12/24, 12/25 and 1/1)
- Exempt employees, both full and part time, do not track holidays. The timecard should be left blank on the holiday dates.
- Non-exempt full time employees will be granted 8 holiday hours for each holiday automatically.
- Non-exempt part time employees will be granted holiday hours based on a pre-formulated system calculation.
Additional Day Off With Pay
Treat like a normal work day:
- Exempt employees should leave blank.
- Non-exempt employees should leave their normal schedule in for that day.
Time off Borrowed from 2009 PTO, Floating Holiday Accrual and December 2008 Vacation Accrual
Enter as you normally do:
- Kronos system will be programmed to allow overdrafts for December only.
- Employees who are negative because of borrowed time will have the difference subtracted, either from:
- Vacation from their December 2008 grant
- Floating Holiday and PTO from January 2009 grants
Payday prior to the Winter Close is Friday, December 19. Direct deposits will be deposited into accounts on December 19 by 5:00 PM. Online pay statements will be available in Axess (axess.stanford.edu) for all employees (including those who receive live paychecks), on Wednesday, December 17.
For those who have opted for a paper advice, they will be distributed to departments on January 5, 2009, after the Winter Close.
Employees Who Receive a Live Paycheck:
All live checks will be delivered to your department mail code, as normal, on Friday December 19. However, we encourage you to sign up for direct deposit instead of receiving a live check by visiting the Employee Info tab in Axess.