Resources: Getting Access to Decision Support Services (DSS)
On this page:
Decision Support Services (DSS) Defined
The Decision Support Services team provides access to the tools and data necessary for users to create their own reports on an ad hoc basis. Decision Support Services maintains its own DataMart (a.k.a. DSS) with data from Stanford's major administrative systems, including:
- Oracle Financials
- FAAS (Faculty Affairs Academic Secretaries database)
- SPIDERS (Sponsored Projects Integrated Data Entry Retrieval System)
Data from these systems can be combined. For example, you can link faculty advising with research proposals. The DSS DataMart also contains data from legacy systems (i.e. NSI, CHRIS, GFS, and SUFIN).
DSS Reporting Tool
You can access the DSS DataMart using Business Objects. DSS reporting work best when:
- users needs are not met by canned reports (such as those in Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI) Human Resource Reporting, OBI Financial Reporting, or ReportMart3),
- users are comfortable creating their own queries and reports, and
- users have thorough knowledge of the data they are retrieving.
Gain Access to DSS
To gain access to DSS:
- Your manager must send an email to Decision Support Services outlining your need for access. Contact Kathy Mahler or Lillian Lee.
- The Decision Support Services team will work with you to determine the proper tool (usually Business Objects) and install it on your computer.
Training sessions are available through Decision Support Services approximately 2-4 times per year.