How To: Request Off-Cycle Check
Who does this? Stanford Payroll Administrators
When? An employee paycheck is needed before the next regular payday, usually requested when regular salary or hours are missed on the previous payday or when the employee requests a pay advance. Employee advances are limited to 2 per rolling calendar year. Reference Policy Notes: Payroll Advances.
How? By entering an Off-Cycle Check or GFS Off-Cycle Check Webform (recommended) or by submitting a Special Salary Processing (SSP) and One-Time Payment form. There is a $35 charge for each off-cycle check requested.
Request Off-Cycle Check (6 steps)
Gather information for the payment request:
- Employee name
- Employee ID Number
- Employee Pay Group from PeopleSoft
- Employee Record # from PeopleSoft
Gather payment information:
- Amount to be paid
- PTA to charge for the payment
- PTA to charge for the $35 check fee
- Earn code for the payment
- RTS – Missed payment of salary
- RTH – Missed payment of hours
- RTO – Missed payment of overtime
- ADE – Emergency pay advance
Select from one of the following form options:
- To submit an Off-Cycle Check or GFS Off-Cycle Check Webform (recommended), see Step 4.
- To submit a Special Salary Processing (SSP) and One-Time Payment Form (when you do not have access to the Webform), see Step 5.
Prepare an Off-Cycle Check Webform:
- Follow instructions on Off-Cycle Check Webform Job Aid or GFS Off-Cycle Check Webform Job Aid to complete the form.
Submit an SSP (Special Salary Processing Form) and One-Time Payment Form to Payroll:
- Request a copy of the SSP form by submitting a HelpSU ticket to the Financial Support Center.
- Download and print the One-Time Payment Form.
- Using the information collected in Steps 1 and 2, complete all relevant fields in the upper section of the SSP Form.
- Using the information collected in Steps 1 and 2, complete all relevant fields on the One-Time Payment Form.
- The signed original forms should be submitted to Payroll.
Pick up check from the University Cashier's Office:
- The University Cashier's Office is located at 459 Lagunita Drive, Tresidder Memorial Union Suite 7, Stanford, CA 94305.
- Hours are 9 AM – 5 PM, Monday-Friday.
- Photo ID is required to pickup a paycheck.
- All payments requested with the Off-Cycle Check webform, the GFS Off-Cycle Check Webform, the Termination Webform or the paper SSP (Special Salary Processing) form are held for pickup at the University Cashier's Office. Webforms fully approved by 9 AM are ready at 3pm the same day. SSP forms received in Payroll (or at the University Cashier's Office drop box) by 2:30 PM on a given day are ready at 3pm the following day. Forms received after the deadline will be processed the following day.
- For specific entry deadlines for each pay period, see Resources: Payroll Schedules & Deadlines.
- You can verify that the check is ready by checking the Gross Pay Panel in PeopleSoft.
- Payroll reserves the right to delay processing of non-urgent off-cycle checks on payroll lockout day and payday.