How To: Obtain Immigration Verification Letter

Who does this?  Stanford Employees

When?  Employees need to verify employment status for immigration purposes.

How?  Employees can obtain and print an Immigration Verification Letter directly from The Work Number web site provided by TALX Corporation (a third party service provider).



Obtain Immigration Verification Letter (6 steps)

step 1

Launch The Work Number web site:

step 2

Log into The Work Number Employee section:

  1. Click Enter Employee Section.
  2. Enter 10526 in Employee Name or Code field.
  3. Click Go button.
  4. Enter your Social Security Number.
  5. Enter your PIN (personal identification number).
    Note:  Call Payroll at 650-723-2772 to obtain your default PIN.
  6. Click Continue.
step 3

Change default password (For First Time Login Only):

  1. Enter your Old PIN (i.e. default date of birth).
  2. Enter a New PIN (format: 4 to 8 numeric digits in length).
  3. Re-enter your New PIN.

  4. You will receive confirmation that your PIN has been changed.

  5. Click Continue.
step 4

Obtain an immigration verification letter:

  1. Find the Verifications list on the Main Menu.
  2. Click Immigration Verification.
  3. Click Continue to view the Employment Verification Letter for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

  4. Note:  This immigration verification letter does NOT satisfy the requirements for the following immigration forms:
    • Application for Family Unity Benefits (Form I-817)
    • Application for Temporary Protected Status (Form I-821)
    • Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes (Form N-470)
    These immigration forms require verification of your employment status to be in the form of an affidavit signed by Stanford. Please submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll with your request.
step 5

Print your immigration verification letter:

  1. Click Printer Friendly.
step 6

Click Logout.

back to top


Additional Notes

  • You can personally safeguard your information by keeping your Social Security Number and PIN confidential. You can change your PIN at any time from the W-2 eXpress web site, My Account options.


  • Call The Work Number customer service representatives at 1-800-996-7566, Monday – Friday between the hours of 7 AM and 8 PM Central Time. Automated support may be reached at 1-800-367-5690.
  • If you still have questions or need assistance with a PIN reset, please submit a HelpSU ticket to Payroll (Request Category Financial Support and Request Type Payroll).
back to top